I have a 40gb disk that has Windows 2000 installed onto a 40gb NTFS partition. I am wanting to install Knoppix onto this disk and create a dual boot system, so I am booting the Knoppix 3.2 CD and trying to shrink the NTFS partition using ntfsresize and fdisk.
Following the instructions in the ntfsresize FAQ, I seem to have successfully shrank the partition to 25gb. I then have repartitioned the disk using fdisk, recreating the 25gb NTFS partition, and adding my new partitions: 10gb Linux, 1gb Linix swap & 4gb FAT32 share. Fdisk seems to successfully write the new partition table. I confirm this by starting fdisk again, selecting P, and see that all four partitions are listed.
So I then start the Knoppix install procedure, and lo and behold it states that there is only a 40gb NTFS partition available to (not) install onto... nothing anywhere about my shiney new Linux & Fat32 partitions.
So I quit and boot into Windows 2000 (no problem there... sigh of relief!) and it reports that my system disk 'C:' is 25gb. The Disk Management Administrative Tool reports the same, though confusingly the graphical part reports that it is a 40gb NTFS partition.
Is this an ntfsresize, fdisk or Knoppix install issue?Where am I going wrong? Or am I?
I'm not exactly a complete noob when it comes to Linux or Windows, but I've never really messed around with partitioning resize tools before (except the nifty GUI one that came with BeOS).
Please help, I'm itching to get Knoppix up and running so I can mess about with OpenOffice, Wine & all the other goodies therein.
Thanks.

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor
$27.99
Intel Core i7-12700K 12th Gen Desktop Processor – LGA 1700 – Unlocked
$280.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core Ultra 7 265KF 20-Core LGA 1851 Desktop Processor CPU
$199.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU
$169.99
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99
Dell OptiPlex 5090 SFF PC w/ i7-10700 2.9GHz CPU 2TB HDD 8GB DDR4 RAM Win 10 Pro
$209.95