Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: GRUB ... then nothing

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    GRUB ... then nothing

    Hi,

    I am new to the Linux world and KNOPPIX was my first experience with Linux. I was impressed with it and tried to install it on my hdd. All went well until i reboot. I get to the prompt "GRUB" and then nothing happens. Can someone please help me out with this?

    Thanks in advance

    Cheers,
    dantay

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    have you found an solution?

    you say you see grub, but (I havent used knoppix lately so I can be wrong) knoppix uses LILO nog grub. So what knoppix are you using? and you see grub, what exactly do you see?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hi superstoned,

    That was what I thought too. I was baffled to see GRUB prompt greeting me. I THINK that I got over the initial problem I was having. I have had my hdd as the secondary master (there are no primary master or slave, my comp's interior is in a mess and ... I just got too lazy to move my hdd around) and after reading some of the postings, one of them pointed out that I could modify the lilo.conf. So I did and changed boot=/dev/hda to boot=/dev/hdc.

    From then on, KNOPPIX loaded ... half way and I get some error message about bad CRC on my hdd and stops. I can't really remember the exact error message right now though. Therefore, I suspect there is something wrong with the hdd but I have been using it for some time and it works.

    So, is what I did at the begining (altering the .conf file) the correct thing to do? Or would it have caused some CRC problem (??) to my hdd?

    Thanks in advance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    well, its unlikely your disk is broken (or, part of it) but not impossible.

    anyway, I'd start moving your hdisk to a propper place (e.g. primary master), it might help. I've seen alot of problems with these things too, esp with raid-hardware present in the system.

    and what you did with the conf file is oke, it shouldnt give problems. but you have to re-run lilo for the new config to be applied (guess you did, it worked isnt it?)

Similar Threads

  1. Grub
    By tenlientl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 08:23 PM
  2. Trouble with grub...
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 07:32 AM
  3. How to use Grub
    By Neil Young & Crazy Ho in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 07:05 AM
  4. lilo to grub???
    By phantomshado in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 06:45 AM
  5. Getting rid of Grub
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 04:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99