Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: how to install AIM? Please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    how to install AIM? Please help

    i am new to this linux thing, and i need help install AIM. Please help. THank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Knoppix has GAIM which AFAIK is compatible with AIM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2
    thank u that will work

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    GAIM is great for all the networks I know of except Yahoo (still cannot connect as Yahoo recently changed their protocol *again*; only way I know of connecting to the Yahoo network is using the official Yahoo client (they offer a .deb :))).

    Gaim should be in the menu, otherwise click a shell and type
    gaim &
    (the & backgrounds the app; you can then close the shell without closing Gaim).

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by c123
    GAIM is great for all the networks I know of except Yahoo (still cannot connect as Yahoo recently changed their protocol *again*; only way I know of connecting to the Yahoo network is using the official Yahoo client (they offer a .deb )).
    Kopete connects to both Yahoo and MSN with no problems.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    For those of you with hddinstalls of Knoppix, a user named Linuxwhore posted a link on the forums at sourceforge to some patched GAIMs he's built. If you use alien on the Fedora Core 1 rpm it installs great into Knoppix and yahoo works.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    arg, then I installed that software from satan (Ymessenger) for nothing? the problem is that the gf will now demand ymessnger on the windows machien (I will use only Gaim or Miranda on windows).

    damn, should have looked into kopete :(
    double-damn, do I try to install the modded gaim or just get kopete? decisions, decisions...

    cheers everyone.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    just tried to install kopete. 'apt-get install kopete' wouldn't work:
    Code:
    # apt-get install kopete
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    
    Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      kopete: Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.2.1) but 4:3.1.5-1 is to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    I guess that was because I still had some 'stable' sources listed in my sources.list; after comenting them out I tried again using the command 'apt-get -t unstable install kopete' (I got that command from the apt-get sticky in the hard drive installs forum). That seemed to go OK until
    Code:
     
    ...lots more lines like next one...
    /var/cache/apt/archives/pm-dev_4.3.0-6_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    What do I do next? Thanks :)

    BTW I'm currently (when I'm trying to install kopete) using IceWM; I am also interested in upgrading to KDE 3.2.x (don't know if that makes installing kopete easier).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$53.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



ST1000NM000A Seagate Exos 7E8 Hard drive TB internal 3.5

ST1000NM000A Seagate Exos 7E8 Hard drive TB internal 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7200 rpm

$115.56



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59