-
Boot Prompt command to recognize (hde)?
Hi,
I posted this over at the HDD Install forum and haven't gotten a response. Can anyone help me?? All I need, I think, is the commands to tell Knoppix to read and mount a SCSI Disk (hde). The command to give at the Boot Prompt.
Can anyone help???
Sincerely,
Ed (e.newed)
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:48 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello folks,
I'm posting this here, because I've looked for hours and got nothing but sorta-like answers.
This question was asked in February by "pepesz" under /viewtopic.php?t=8440. "knoppix can't see disk connected to promise ultra100 tx2", and nobody responded, from what I can see.
Anyway, I have a new hard disk (Hitachi Deskstar 7K250) that is 82.3GB. My computer is a Compaq Deskpro EP Series with 496MHz Celeron Processor, 256MB RAM, i810 Intel Chipset and currently has a Maxtor Diamondmax 20GB hard disk.
The Bios is a 686J v.310 updated around 4/2000. Now, this Bios can see the 20GB disk fine (reports 20020MB), but when I put the 7K250 on it only sees 16873MB. This is another wall different from the 32Gig wall, some buffer overrun makes the Bios ignore the first 64GB and it only reports the balance over 64GB, thus 16873. So I called up Hitachi and they said to get an Ultra ATA/100 controller card.
What I found out: Windows (and the Bios) see the card as a SCSI Mass Storage Device, so even though the 7K250 is a Parallel IDE Ultra ATA/100 Drive Windows (& the Bios) sees the drive as a SCSI drive mounted off of the motherboard, but will be seen as drive C:\ if it is the only one on the computer. However, KNOPPIX sees it as drive /dev/hde (a SCSI drive designation). But qtparted and cfdisk can't mount it!!
I would like to partition this drive with Knoppix and do a Hard Disk Install. So from what I read there should be a boot parameter that you can give, that will allow Knoppix to mount hde,hdf,hdg drives (especially since the card takes all of the drives off of the motherboard, other than the CDRW and CDROM which is still attached to the motherboard).
Does anyone know the proper command to write at the BOOT PROMPT? Also if I get Knoppix on the HDD do I need to do anything in Debian to get it to work off of the controller Card?
Any help would be appreciated. This has turned into a week long project with no end in sight!
Thanks for your help,
Ed (e.newed)
PS:the Maxtor card is a Promise Ultra100 TX2 Card.(they're exactly the same, only the names have changed)
Similar Threads
-
By dhkkong in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By Virulent in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
-
By Exit in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By Sean in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
-
By burmo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95