Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Boot floppy fails to find KNOPPIX image on FAT32

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2

    Boot floppy fails to find KNOPPIX image on FAT32

    Another Linux noob here.

    I've been able to boot Knoppix 3.3 from a CD. Now I'm trying to do a "poormans install" as documented here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo

    I've followed directions from section 1.4. No problems encountered.

    The boot floppy displays the main boot screen. At the boot: prompt I press enter. Vmlinuz loads, then miniroot.gz loads, and after about 5 seconds I receive the error:

    Boot failed; please change disks and press a key to continue.

    I receive no other error messages.

    When I boot directly from the CD I am able to view the KNOPPIX image on my D:\KNOPPIX. For what it's worth my C: drive (formatted as FAT - not FAT32) is sda1 and my D: drive (formatted as FAT32) is sdb5. [My D: drive is the only partition on that particular drive. It is located in an extended partition; there are no primary partitions on this particular drive.]

    I'm stumped. Any ideas? I want to run directly from the ISO; I don't want to install Knoppix on this machine.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2
    The problem appeared to be due to a pre-formatted floppy that was formatted using /Q (quickformat). When I formatted the floppy using a normal format and then re-wrote the boot image on the floppy everything worked fine.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot from floppy and ISO image
    By wslkevin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 08:54 PM
  2. Flonix floppy boot image?
    By potissimus in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 12:10 AM
  3. Remaster w/DSL. boot fails - Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By PigPen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 04:54 AM
  4. boot from floppy fails ??
    By Goner in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 01:16 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4 2x16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200A SODIMM M471A2K43EB1-CWE picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2x16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200A SODIMM M471A2K43EB1-CWE

$124.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



32GB Kit 4x8GB Wintec DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM VLP Server RAM picture

32GB Kit 4x8GB Wintec DDR4-2133 ECC RDIMM VLP Server RAM

$75.00



CORSAIR Dominator DDR3 CMP8GX3M2A 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM picture

CORSAIR Dominator DDR3 CMP8GX3M2A 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

$21.04