-
Liberate Knoppix from Geramik
Several days ago I updated my Knoppix 3.2 hard drive install (circa July 2003) with Knoppix 3.3, February 16, 2004 build. All went well, but when I was done a lot of my applications looked worse: The Gimp, Mozilla, and newly installed instances of Firefox and Thunderbird were all burdened by big, puffy, pillowy, hard-to-read buttons and other "widgets."
I prowled around KDE's Control Center for a long time trying to fix this to no avail. Then I posed an incoherent question to this forum and got nothing. So I did more sleuthing and finally got an answer, which I document here.
Basically, Knoppix 3.3 has an unholy alliance with a GTK theme called "Geramik" that looks awful and is hard to eliminate. If you want to get rid of it and are having trouble figuring out how, check the above link -- the fix is nonintuitive, but once you've killed Geramik the results are delightful.
Forge ahead!
-
Senior Member
registered user
w3as wondering how to improve the look of my GUI, thought it was just a case of finding a better theme.
thanks, I will be going back to 'normal unsquished' buttons tonight hopefully :)
-
Senior Member
registered user
followed your procedure the other night, works fine. the GUI is a lot better now :)
-
Junior Member
registered user
Wow, thanks!
I've had Knoppix installed for about six months and those gtk-theme-switchers have never worked.
Note to others: the procedure can be summarised as
Code:
sudo mv /etc/gtk/gtkrc /etc/gtk/gtkrc-knoppix
sudo mv /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-knoppix
Similar Threads
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 06:39 PM
-
By kaplanfx in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage Apple Design Keyboard Model M2980 Macintosh 1994 Untested
$28.49

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus
$64.95

Lot of 64 Apple II IIe IIc 5.25” Floppy Disk Games Software Utilities Vintage
$39.00

Vintage Apple Keyboard M7803 Mouse M5769 (NEEDS TO BE CLEANED)
$24.64

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99