w3as wondering how to improve the look of my GUI, thought it was just a case of finding a better theme.
thanks, I will be going back to 'normal unsquished' buttons tonight hopefully :)
Several days ago I updated my Knoppix 3.2 hard drive install (circa July 2003) with Knoppix 3.3, February 16, 2004 build. All went well, but when I was done a lot of my applications looked worse: The Gimp, Mozilla, and newly installed instances of Firefox and Thunderbird were all burdened by big, puffy, pillowy, hard-to-read buttons and other "widgets."
I prowled around KDE's Control Center for a long time trying to fix this to no avail. Then I posed an incoherent question to this forum and got nothing. So I did more sleuthing and finally got an answer, which I document here.
Basically, Knoppix 3.3 has an unholy alliance with a GTK theme called "Geramik" that looks awful and is hard to eliminate. If you want to get rid of it and are having trouble figuring out how, check the above link -- the fix is nonintuitive, but once you've killed Geramik the results are delightful.
Forge ahead!
w3as wondering how to improve the look of my GUI, thought it was just a case of finding a better theme.
thanks, I will be going back to 'normal unsquished' buttons tonight hopefully :)
followed your procedure the other night, works fine. the GUI is a lot better now :)
Wow, thanks!![]()
I've had Knoppix installed for about six months and those gtk-theme-switchers have never worked.
Note to others: the procedure can be summarised as
Code:sudo mv /etc/gtk/gtkrc /etc/gtk/gtkrc-knoppix sudo mv /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-knoppix

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
SonicWall NSa 2700 Next-Gen Firewall Appliance Only | NO LICENSE |
$499.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99