-
ntfsresize/fdisk - where's my new partitions?
I have a 40gb disk that has Windows 2000 installed onto a 40gb NTFS partition. I am wanting to install Knoppix onto this disk and create a dual boot system, so I am booting the Knoppix 3.2 CD and trying to shrink the NTFS partition using ntfsresize and fdisk.
Following the instructions in the ntfsresize FAQ, I seem to have successfully shrank the partition to 25gb. I then have repartitioned the disk using fdisk, recreating the 25gb NTFS partition, and adding my new partitions: 10gb Linux, 1gb Linix swap & 4gb FAT32 share. Fdisk seems to successfully write the new partition table. I confirm this by starting fdisk again, selecting P, and see that all four partitions are listed.
So I then start the Knoppix install procedure, and lo and behold it states that there is only a 40gb NTFS partition available to (not) install onto... nothing anywhere about my shiney new Linux & Fat32 partitions.
So I quit and boot into Windows 2000 (no problem there... sigh of relief!) and it reports that my system disk 'C:' is 25gb. The Disk Management Administrative Tool reports the same, though confusingly the graphical part reports that it is a 40gb NTFS partition.
Is this an ntfsresize, fdisk or Knoppix install issue?Where am I going wrong? Or am I?
I'm not exactly a complete noob when it comes to Linux or Windows, but I've never really messed around with partitioning resize tools before (except the nifty GUI one that came with BeOS).
Please help, I'm itching to get Knoppix up and running so I can mess about with OpenOffice, Wine & all the other goodies therein.
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By eljoky in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 08:36 PM
-
By ashore in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 08:05 PM
-
By alert5 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-26-2004, 06:17 PM
-
By Eradicator in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-28-2003, 04:21 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi HUS726060ALA640 6TB 7.2K SATA 3.5 6G HDD Hard Disc Drive
$109.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00