-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, thanks, AJ. I used to work in an office with the biggest chess dork I've ever met. He was always looking for people to play chess with, except that he really loved the asian variants. I was one of the few people who consented to be taught. Now I'm hooked too. Unfortunately, he moved away to parts unknown, and I'm probably one of the few people in Texas who know what Shogi (Japanese chess) or Xiang Qi (Chinese chess) are, much less how to play them (well, OK, there is his ex-wife, but that would be rather awkward now, wouldn't it)? So, I play against the computer, which I prefer anyway. Steve Evans wrote a freeware program for W$ with most of the Shogi variants built in. It's a great interface, but has a weak engine.
http://trout.customer.netspace.net.au/
Anyway, just so you won't think I was speaking gibberish, tori shogi (bird chess) is my favorite, and the various pieces are named after birds (phoenix =king, eagle, falcon, crane, etc.). The cool thing about shogi (most variants, anyway) is that when you capture an opposing piece, you can "drop" it on the board as your own piece in any location (for the most part) you choose. The pieces are not colored; they are arrow-shaped flat tiles, and you can tell whose piece is whose by the direction the arrowhead is pointing (IOW, my pieces would point toward you, and vice versa). The other unique thing about most variants of shogi is that the pieces are able to promote if they penetrate deeply enough into the opponent's territory. Promotion is indicated by turning the tile over.
Cannot help you with the linux stuff. I am still a newbie, and I'm holding back waiting for the interface to develop a bit more (e.g., ability to work with NTFS - I'm hoping the Knoppix 3.4, when it's released will take care of that, and I'm also waiting for a better interface to facilitate DVD burning)..
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server
$525.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w
$238.88

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95