Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Alsa and CS4237 sound card

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19

    Alsa and CS4237 sound card

    Ive read plenty of posts about alsa with this sound card, but I cant seem to find anything useful. Im trying to get sound working on a thinkpad 600, with a CS4237B chip, which is supposed to worth with both alsa and OSS.

    Ive tried several things, with a knoppix live cd, i use the cheatcode "knoppix alsa",
    which says:
    "Preparing modules for alsa...
    Building card database"
    then:
    "Soundcard = driver(alsa)" or something.
    while booting.

    The sound then doesnt work...

    I also tried this:
    Code:
    root@ttyp0[init.d]# cd /etc/init.d/
    root@ttyp0[init.d]# ./alsa-autoconfig
    Preparing modules for alsa...
    root@ttyp0[init.d]#
    Still nothing.

    when I run sndconfig, it wont detect the card. So I manually select the cs423x driver, and i get... "Segmentation fault", not fun.

    I've done a hd install for mini knoppix (it supports my wireless card), I then apt-got alsa-base and utils.

    When I run alsaconf, it wont detect the card. Ive tried adding things to modutils, or modconf, as it said on some tutorial. It says "modules not installed". I cant get these modules either because theres none for kernel 2.4.24-xfs.

    Can I update (or downdate if needed) my kernel and install the alsa modules, and if so, can someone guide me through it? Ive found a site about compiling custom alsa kernels, followed it for a few hours before deciding its waaay over my head.

    Ive also tried following the tut on the alsa website, but thats given me plenty of errors.

    Has anyone had these problems before? Ive looked through a lot of forums and tutorials and they either fixed it with alsaconf, or never got a reply. Im quite new to linux, and ive been more than patient with alsa but I dont seem to be going anywhere. Im about to crawl back to windows...

    One last thing Ive heard with the thinkpad 600 is the "quick boot" option in the bios, that seems to disable pnp cards. Ive disabled it, but ill have another look now.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    Are you sure it's a CS4237?
    My Thinkpad600 uses the CS4232 driver.
    I've not bothered with ALSA, as the OSS driver is fine.

    You need to modprobe it with the following options
    Code:
    modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5 synthio=-1 synthirq=-1
    modprobe opl3 io=0x388
    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19
    Either cs4232 or cs4236 works for cs4237.

    "modprobe op13 0x388" gives me the error:
    modprobe: Cant locate module op13

    I thought u had to pay for the OSS drivers?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    It's Oh Pea El three

    It's only needed for midi.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19
    Working perfect, thx m8

    It even works when I reboot.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19
    I was originally using miniknoppix, but with knoppix hdinstall im gettin the same problems you posted about earlier.

    The modprobe no longer works after a reboot, but it does bring some errors while booting. Did you ever find a solution to ur post earlier?

    What was ur temporary solution, are you having any problems with it?

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    My 'temporary' solutions was to create a bash script to rmmod and reload the modules correctly prior to the GUI starting.
    The script was:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    rmmod cs4232
    rmmod ad1848
    rmmod uart401
    rmmod opl3
    modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5 synthirq=-1 synthio=-1
    modprobe opl3 io=0x388
    I load this script by calling it from:
    Code:
    /etc/rc5.d/S98soundscript
    which is a symbolic link to the script saved as:
    /etc/init.d/soundscript
    HTH

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix ALSA sound drivers
    By Keithj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 05:38 PM
  2. alsa instead of oss sound drivers
    By Keithj in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 04:17 PM
  3. (alsa) Notebook Sound / Strange behavior
    By dbk-gravity in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 10:37 AM
  4. My KDE is crawling after I activate ALSA sound card modules
    By garyng in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:53 AM
  5. Notebook sound ES1878 does not work (alsa instead?)
    By cy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St... picture

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...

$64.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Electric Air Duster & Small Vacuum, 130000RPM, 2in1 Cleaner picture

Electric Air Duster & Small Vacuum, 130000RPM, 2in1 Cleaner

$70.96



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US picture

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US

$21.98



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00