Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: is my HD using DMA mode?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    here
    Posts
    22

    is my HD using DMA mode?

    1st, I have a HD install of Knoppix
    I noticed on bootup it said something about PIO mode 33 use DMA=xx or something like that. . .
    I just wondered id anyone knew how to check my hardrive's DMA modes. . .

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Code:
    sudo hdparm /dev/hda
    The default situation after a hd install won't allow you to sudo though so you probably should do:
    Code:
    su
    hdparm /dev/hda

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    here
    Posts
    22
    thanx for the quick reply
    they both worked and DMA says it's on

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    I don;t see anything about the access mode :(

    Code:
    root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# hdparm /dev/sda
    
    /dev/sda:
     readonly     =  0 (off)
     geometry     = 39083/64/32, sectors = 80043264, start = 0
    So how can I know if DMA is on?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by c123
    I don;t see anything about the access mode

    Code:
    root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# hdparm /dev/sda
    
    /dev/sda:
     readonly     =  0 (off)
     geometry     = 39083/64/32, sectors = 80043264, start = 0
    So how can I know if DMA is on?
    SCSI drives do not need DMA enabled the controller it connects through takes care of the speed of the connection.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    Thought this might be the case after posting; thanks for the confirmation.

Similar Threads

  1. tty screen mode
    By marhleet in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:16 PM
  2. failsafe mode
    By twmspro in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 01:33 AM
  3. Interlaced mode
    By Ryo_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 02:46 AM
  4. DMA mode
    By Pasq in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 04:03 PM
  5. expert mode
    By mutante in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$245.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



Vintage California Computer Systems Boards for S-100 Terminiator Cards picture

Vintage California Computer Systems Boards for S-100 Terminiator Cards

$145.00



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00