Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Fn-Key not working after booting with Knoppix 3.3 (Dell)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    3

    Fn-Key not working after booting with Knoppix 3.3 (Dell)

    Hi all,

    Usually I work on WinXP or on Win2000 on my Dell Inspiron 8000. Since I ran Knoppix 3.3 from CD, the Fn-Keys on my notebook are not working any more neither in WinXP nor in Win2000.

    Now, there are two possibilities:
    1. The Fn-key is broken and the solution might be expensive
    2. Knoppix somehow disabled the Fn-keys and the solution could be cheap.

    I already updated the bios and surfed the web for hours to find a solution...

    Does anyone know this problem?

    Greez,
    Marcel

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Chances are its 1.

    Knoppix does nothing to the hard drive unless you tell it too and I've never heard of software ruining a peice of hardware like a keyboard.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    Chances are its 1.

    Knoppix does nothing to the hard drive unless you tell it too and I've never heard of software ruining a peice of hardware like a keyboard.
    Probably, but since it is a Dell you can't be sure. If any of the stories on this site about Dells not booting after a shutdown are true then their BIOS is complete crap. I'd consider disconnecting the battery and waiting 30 min or so. (and if that fixes it I would never buy another Dell )

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    3
    I just tried a keyboard test software, it displays every keypress exept of keys like [Prnt Scrn] or [Fn]

    I let you know when I find out something more...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    3
    Hi again,

    Finally, I found out how to "fix" the problem. Just removing the battery for about half an hour helped... As far as I know does this reset parts of the flash bios.

    When I started knoopix on the notebook again, it didn't happen again, so maybe I wrongly suspected knoppix to disable those keys. Nevertheless it happened at the same time as I started knoppix first, so who knows...

    Anyway, the problem is fixed and I know what to do if it happens again.
    And after all, knoppix is still a very fine and handy operating system

    Greets from Switzerland,
    Marcel

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Booting Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 5150
    By jdykstra in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 07:42 AM
  3. Netowrk Card not working in Windows XP after Knoppix booting
    By xthaparian in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 05:44 PM
  4. Booting to Knoppix on a Dell Dimension 8200
    By rons1961 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 12:31 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00