-
Scratch that last post. I changed the line to read 'boot=/dev/hda' and I get (from lilo):
Code:
Warning, 'proc/partitions' doesn't exist, disk scan bypassed
Added Linux*
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
Then on booting up again I get the red boot menu and the 'boot:' prompt, I hit Enter and it runs through its setup but halts and produces these lines (last two reproduced only):
Code:
mount: No such device or address
kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
Any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
eSCHEn
you can make a separate /home and use that to store data, i have had a separate 20Gb hdd in one partition as /home/download.
you can mount a partition allmost anywhere in the filesystem, just as long as it is an directory, so make a directory in your /home/eSCHEn/dir and mount a hdd or partition there, if it was hda6 and a fat 32 that would be:
Code:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda6 /home/eSCHEn/dir
The parition you used in windows is a possible candidate, atleast if it is fat32 and not NTFS.
just mount that under your home/eSCHEn and put things there till it is full...
the comands
hmmm the comands thamselves are explained in
andthe thing that is good to know is what the fd0 and hda1... are.
fd0 stands for the first floppy drive (fd1 is second...).
hd stands for hard drive. the a is for the primary master, the number is for the partition, like this
hda = primary master
hdb = primary slave
hdc = secondary master
hdd = secondary slave
and usually you can have 4 primary or 3 primary and one extended partition (and several more partitions in that extended).
btw you may have to copy the image of the floppy mbr to a floppy and use that to get it on to a ntfs system. otherwise a remount of C: to red write should be enough.
-
Well, I give up. I've been up for the last 72 hours, trying to get this configured and running, but to no avail; I guess I'm just too stupid to grasp this.
Hi ho, it's back to Windows I go 
Thanks loads to all those that helped 
l8rs
-
Finally done it :)
Ok, I had a good kip and tried again, this time everything went without a hitch: the install, reconfiguring lilo and even setting up the NT bootloader (although Win2K takes much longer to boot now); nothing needed except some lateral thinking and patience 
The morale of the tale is this: Don't stay up for 3 days working on/whinging about a problem, get some sleep and try again!
Cheers from a very happy Linux user
-
Senior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By Jakykong in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 05:25 PM
-
By adotl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By pelican in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:01 PM
-
By joekm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 05:40 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$149.95

Datto S3P1000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 16GB DDR4
$139.95

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08