Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Acessing The Net With knoppixx-std

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5

    Acessing The Net With knoppixx-std

    Ok, Quick question can somebody help me as far as getting on the utilizing knoppix-std.
    On windows i am running dsl.
    Is there any way possible for me to use my dsl connection for knoppixx-std.
    I'm not using "Ethernet" hook up.
    I'm using "Usb" hook up for my dsl modem.
    Can anyone asist me?
    Thanks.
    - Tux

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    internet - dsl modem - USB port of PC running ICS on the ethernet port - from ethernet port - crossed ethernet cable - PC running knoppix

    Does that sound right? start ICS running on the unused ethernet port and connect the knoppix PC with a crossed ethernet cable. When it boots it will work without having to do any special.

    A crossed cable is needed as you are directly connecting the two PC ethernet ports together. They are very inexpensive.

    Hope this is okay.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    See the thing is though.
    I have knoppixx and windows on the same drive.
    Is there any way to share my dsl connection with knoppixx that I use for windows?
    More info: I.E. I've got knoppixx-std on bootable disc ok. Now I boot it up.
    My dsl doesn't work anymore.
    Now when I take the disc out and run windows it works again.
    So is there a solution to get my knoppix to regconize that I got a dsl modem and utilize to access the internet.
    Because If I get my knoppixx running i'm converting completely over to linux.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Oh I get it!

    Make a note of all the TCP/IP settings that windows uses to work with DSL, IP, subnet mask and all that sort of stuff, then when you are booted back into knoppix, use netcardconfig and fill those values in as it prompts you. If it doesn't prompt you, then the knoppix autodetect hasn't recognised your DSL connection, I have no experience of DSL.

    The internet box I have is connected to USB and knoppix just basically worked, I think this is because of a module called CDCEther

    Stu.....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ok so I need that moduler "CDCEther" to regconize that I have a dsl connection.
    And accessing this "netcardconfig" option is it the start menu or something.
    Ok and i'll try and make this the last option.
    In windows and as far my tcp/ip/netmask/subnet/and ip options I just copy of those files or write trhem on a peice of paper and fill them in this "netcardconfig" option. So Do I retrieve all my windows info from "ipconfig" in the dos command prompt?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    Do you think I need to download drivers on a floppy disc and then open up knoppixx and install the drivers?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Write the settings down on a piece of paper and fill them in netcardconfig. Not sure about 'ipconig' but it's worth a try!

    'netcardconfig' is the command that you type at the prompt in a console (same sort of thing as the 'DOS prompt' that you mentioned, but for Linux), or you can find it in the KDE menu under 'KNOPPIX' and then 'network/internet' then 'network card configuration'

    Good Luck!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ok. I tried the whole "netcardconfig" approach.
    And it said ethernatcard not found.
    So does it mean, that I need an ethernet card.
    Because threw my dsl connection.
    I don't use ethernet I use "usb"

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Have a look at the DSL modem and note it's make and model, e.g. "Alcatel". When you have this, do a search on the forum and see if anyone else is using this modem and see what they needed to do to get it working, there is a very good chance someone else has done what you are trying to do before.

    If that doesn't help, try google, I'm sure you have a good chance of getting it to work.

    Cheers, Stuart.....

Similar Threads

  1. acessing /mnt/ kills programs
    By TheSpider in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 11:22 PM
  2. Delay/Timeout when acessing "/mnt/" directory
    By ollisoft in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 03:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz) picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz)

$75.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited User CALs CoA picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited User CALs CoA

$279.00