-
Senior Member
registered user
Backup Program for Knoppix HDD Installed System
First of all, I looked at KBackup - don't think this is going to do the job...
I want a backup that "comes standard" on the Live CD, so that, in the case of a system wide crash, I just need to pop the Live CD in, and perform a restore to a new hard drive, etc... to get back in business...
This is what I am looking for -=-
(1) Hopefully the "backup" program comes on the Live CD of Knoppix v3.3 (2.4.22-xfs)
(2) I want to purchase a second hard drive, possibly the same size, or larger, than my current "knoppix" installed drive, 40 gig -=- and "save" backup "files" to this new hard drive. That way, if a system crash happens, I can get another "main" hard drive, boot the Live CD, run the restore from the Live CD, and pointing the restore "files" from the secondary hard drive, used to store previous backup data.
(3) Would prefer to have some form of "compression" on the backup - that way a backup "file" of previous backups, are not just a "collection" of backed-up files on my system, but also take less space as well.
This backup/restore program can be something that just does a tar, or zip, or gz of all files, and stores them into a single "backup file", or it could be a "full-blown" backup/restore program. I am quite sure that I can set some kind of "scheduler" event to have whatever it is, run at specific times of the week, and at specific times of these days. [?]
Whatever this backup/restore program is, I would want to backup "everything", system, devices, drivers, etc... I am looking for a complete solution, not a couple of files one. Time is not critical - considering the backups would be done during a "off time" for the system, just as long as the backup process doesn't take more than 8 hours. Current backup would be around 5 gig of data, and may go as high as 10, on days in which my business is processing a few digital sound files... As I said, the backup should be a "image" of the system, not just of "user" areas. This is needed for faster "crash" recovery.
I have been running for awhile now, without a backup stratagy, and fear the longer I go without one, as in the case of my Windows experience, the longer you don't, the worse it gets, when something disasterous happens.
Thank you to anyone, and everyone, for any assistance on this issue,
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By emmbec in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 13
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
-
By kevstar31 in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:30 AM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
-
By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
-
By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01