--Simple backup script, small enough to fit on floppy/USB thumbdrive: (this is for hd-installed, but you can adapt it. I've tested it, including full restore, and it works. The only problems I've had are having to recreate /proc and the /mnt/ dirs. Oh, and don't forget to re-do lilo. Having a "syslinux" floppy with your current kernel does come in handy in emergencies.)

BEGIN /root/bin/bkpsys
Code:
#!/bin/bash

#mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/bkps
mount /mnt/bkps
cd /mnt/bkps/local/p901/p901-knoppix-hdb1
ls -l

bkpfname='hdb1-knoppix-kernl2425--20040306-wvdial-acting-weird'

# Cmd not found?
#debsort
dpkg -l >~/DEBInstalled.list

# XXX BACKUP DEB CACHE BEFORE RUNNING $0!!
#apt-get clean

echo '==Updatedb...'
time updatedb

echo '==Backing up...'
time tar \
  --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/proc \
  --exclude=/cdrom --exclude=/floppy \
  --exclude=/.journal --exclude=/lost+found \
  -cvpf - / | \
   gzip -9cv >$bkpfname.tar.gz

ls -l
Quote Originally Posted by Markus
You could do it with tar. For instance to backup /etc to 2:nd hd:s 1:st partition do:
tar cjf /mnt/hdb1/etc-backup.tar.bz2 /etc
Make sure to test it, 'cause I haven't. I use RW:s.