Ok, lets try another approach to this issue...

Since I am uncomfortable at the thought of doing a "image backup" of my Knoppix 3.3 (v2.4.22-xfs) system, and the solutions, so far, do not appear to be getting "everything" needed to get the system back without having to do "manual" rebuilding... Lets try something else...

Anyone
know of a "backup" package that can use - say - a floppy boot disk to get the system up to a backup/restore process - which would be installed on that floppy, and be able to access a "backup" destination hard drive, to perform a complete "image" restore of a failed hard drive...

I have a 41gig hard drive, being used as my "system" drive, 40.5gig for the system/file structure, and 500meg for the swap - and a 80gig hard drive - being used as the "backup storage destination, 78gig setup as Linux Ext3, and 2gig setup for Win98 (for Wine and DOS usage)

My "main" Linux system drive (hda1) is in Ext3...

What - I guess - I want now is - a backup package/program that can be booted from a floppy, and also run off the hda1 system drive - backup a complete "image" of the system to "files" on the destination device (hdc2 - Linux Ext3) - and if, God forbid, a system crash, the boot floppy will be able to gain access to the hdc2 device, perform a restore "completely" to the device hda1...

Does anyone use a "nice" backup program that may be used this way as well? I feel rather naked without knowing I don't have a backup strategy in place - even though I just went through a complete "gutting" and "re-install" to my hard drive to get ALSA working - I would PREFER not to do THAT again...

Thanks in advance,
Cuddles