Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wifi Connection not establishing

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6

    Wifi Connection not establishing

    I'm fairly new to Linux so pardon anything seemingly simple to you that I have overlooked.

    I have a Windows XP home network set up on another computer and am trying to get the internet connection in Knoppix Live.

    So far, as root I have tried :

    if config eth0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0
    echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 >> /etc/resolv.conf

    After doing this I can see by my wifi card that part of the connection is established (it stops blinking).
    I can also ping 192.168.0.200 to receive:
    64 bytes from 192.168.0.200 icmp_seq=* ttl=64 time=0.1ms

    However, I am unable to resolve any connections with websites.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Respectfully,
    Exit[/u]

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6

    ?

    I have also tried netcardconfig ending in the following:

    ip address for eth0 192.168.0.2
    network mask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast address 192.168.0.2 (I'm not sure about this one)
    default gateway 192.168.0.1
    nameserver(s) 192.168.0.1 (I was iffy on this one also)

    ESSID 802.11b
    NWID (cell identifier) null
    mode Managed
    channel number null
    frequency null
    encryption key ******************
    additional parameters --null for all

    I have also tried "pump -i eth0" which ended in "operation failed"

    My card is being detected (after looking at lspci -v)

    There is a good chance that I have inputted something wrong, if not since I am using PCI, the Windows update issue might be what is hindering me.

    Any ideas?
    Respectfully,
    Exit

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    broadcast address 192.168.0.2 should be 192.168.0.255 and the nameserver should be the DNS or Domain Name Server settings that you get from your ISP. Also the network setting it asks for in the netcardconfig would be 192.168.0.0.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6
    Thank you.

    As for entering "192.168.0.0", can you be a little more specific, in regards to what location (after what prompt), than "the network setting"?

    Respectfully,
    Exit

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Exit
    Thank you.

    As for entering "192.168.0.0", can you be a little more specific, in regards to what location (after what prompt), than "the network setting"?

    Respectfully,
    Exit

    The settings eventually end up in the file /etc/network/interfaces when the netcardconfig runs if it asks for a network setting then that would be the number you would have to use an example of the file below and now that I look at my file the network setting is optional so the netcard may not ask for it if that is the case then ignore my suggestion of the setting.

    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# cat /etc/network/interfaces
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
    # The loopback interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
    # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
    auto eth0
    
    
    
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.1
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.254

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6
    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# cat /etc/network/interfaces
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(, ifdown(

    # The loopback interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback


    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1


    I know my gateway is at 192.168.0.1, but I tried using the same entry that you had just in case.
    No preferable results yet.

    Respectfully,
    Exit

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Exit
    root@ttyp0[knoppix]#

    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.1
    gateway 192.168.0.1

    Your IP cannot be the same as your gateway you need to use something like 192.168.0.2 or 3 ... a number on the end that is not in use in your internal network. While I am noticing here does not XP use its own DHCP server to give out IPs?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6
    First post from Knoppix

    Edit: Wow download speed went up 300kbps

    The ip address was a typo, I meant to write 192.168.0.2.

    Your help is much appreciated, the only problem that remains is the ESSID. Using "802.11b"
    seems to not be correct (I had to leave it blank to get a connection.)

    Again I thank you for your helpfulness.

    Respectfully,
    Exit

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    If you never set up a sepcific SSID, "default" worked for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Conquered WiFi
    By gnarvaja in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 05:04 AM
  2. Can't See WiFi Card
    By deutschemonte in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 08:36 PM
  3. PLEASE Does no one know about wifi in STD
    By Suzanne101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 04:58 AM
  4. establishing compressed drives for Knoppix HD installation
    By JechiD in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 06:49 PM
  5. Wifi 802.11a/b/G
    By poussin in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS MicroATX LGA1151 Intel DDR4 2 DIMM M.2 PCIe. READ DETAILS picture

MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS MicroATX LGA1151 Intel DDR4 2 DIMM M.2 PCIe. READ DETAILS

$41.12



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99