Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Need Help! - Startx from boot ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Linux Dood
    Posts
    3

    Need Help! - Startx from boot ?

    Hello everyone,

    I'm using Knoppix to make old pc's and laptops into linux thin terminals which will launch an ICA session.

    Here's my problem:

    I need the distro installed on the HD to boot directly to a Xsession which will automatically start "wfica" <-- Citrix ICA Linux client

    So in essence the machine will look just like a thin terminal.

    I have been clawing at this beast for hours trying to figure out this seemingly simple issue. A display manger seem to need to prompt for a login, however I can't allow any kind of linux login prompt because there's already too much things for the user to do. I editect xinitrc to automatically run /usr/lib/ICAClient/wfica . So when I type in "startx" after logging in as root I get the boot to Citrix client look. Which is exactly what I want.

    However to get that far I have to log in as root . I need the distro to simply load up and go directly to launching the /usr/lib/ICAClient/wfica binary. I've tried adding /usr/X11R6/bin/startx to the inittab in which case I get a ton of errors. The X server starts but then errors with an "ApplicationServer" not defined or something like that. However after the computer loads and I login as root, I can run startx just fine?

    It looks to me like the system doesn't know where the files are, I went ahead and exported a bunch of directories as a test and I got a different set of errors, but it looked like it was partially resolved, but the Xserver still crashed cause of the errors.

    Does anyone have an idea of how to get 'startx' to run upon boot without the massive errors?

    I played a bit with kdm but I had an error about "wmaker" file could not be opened, and I have the "wmaker" package installed! (I believe I was trying to run icewm as the desktop manager)

    I tried adding "local" to /etc/init.d/ with an entry of "exec /usr/X11R6/bin/startx" to no avail as I read up that Debian uses that file as opposed to rc.local

    (I'm a Debian noob b.t.w)

    Thanks for any help you guys can provide, hopefully by tomarrow!

    --j2

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Linux Dood
    Posts
    3
    Hello again,

    Just wanted to let you guys know not to bother with this issue anymore. I finally resolved it by implementing a shell script

    --j2

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with startx
    By irena in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 12:32 PM
  2. startx
    By tweetyhack in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 07:41 PM
  3. I want to boot into text mode and then startx manually
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 12:14 PM
  4. startx
    By john_h in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 09:27 PM
  5. Autostart KDE - automatic startx
    By Digital Wanker in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99