Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Persistent home directory and saved configurations

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37

    Persistent home directory and saved configurations

    I've used the
    Code:
    KNOPPIX | Configure | Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    and the
    Code:
    KNOPPIX | Configure | Save KNOPPIX configuration
    in conjunction with all of the following on boot
    Code:
    knoppix home=/dev/hda6 myconfig=/dev/hda6
    knoppix home=/dev/hda6 config=/dev/hda6
    knoppix home=/mnt/hda6 myconfig=/mnt/hda6
    knoppix home=/mnt/hda6 config=/mnt/hda6
    I know it's partially working since my home directory is in fact persistent, my desktop background is the right color and mode without image, and my browser retains the right "home" URL.

    However, my desktop icons, which I renamed and rearranged are, upon boot, not in the order nor have the names I gave them.

    ...and yes, I save my configuration *AFTER* I made all the changes I wanted to keep.

    What am I missing?

    Thx

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    I found it best to boot with 'knoppix home=scan' parameter. All the settings are stored in the persistent home anyway and the "save knoppix configuration" option could be kept as a backup.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11
    To include your desktop icons in your saved configuration, use the KNOPPIX menu on the Control Panel. The Configure/Save Knoppix configuration option gives you the chance to save your desktop icons plus any folders/files you may have added.

    Just check:
    d. All files on the Desktop (nnnnkB)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1
    Been pretty darned confused about this myself, and I'm not sure if Rouskis and Robin T Cox are in agreement or not. I've got a small ext2 partition configured as persistent home. Now, what I don't understand, is this: What will "save configuration" do that's in addition to my persistent home? Desktop files, for example, should certainly be saved in the persistent home, even if I don't use "save configuration," right? What about the rest of "save configuration"? I've been trying to determine this through experimentation, but have been getting confusing results.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    IIRC, when I did save configuration, it saved my settings including the network stuff for my wireless card. Saving to persistant home didn't save the network stuff but everything else, including downloads and documents missed in save configuration. FWIW, I used both, first saving to home and then save config, and then when I booted up the cd, I'd type:
    Code:
    knoppix myconfig=scan and home=scan dma idebus=66 noeject
    . That got me optimal settings and all my docs and network stuff. I did try one without the other and something was always missing.

    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8 persistent home directory
    By ddrex in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
  2. Persistent home directory
    By Geof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
  3. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  4. persistent HOME directory doesn't work!
    By zblace in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 10:48 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 01:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01