Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Persistent home directory and saved configurations

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37

    Persistent home directory and saved configurations

    I've used the
    Code:
    KNOPPIX | Configure | Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    and the
    Code:
    KNOPPIX | Configure | Save KNOPPIX configuration
    in conjunction with all of the following on boot
    Code:
    knoppix home=/dev/hda6 myconfig=/dev/hda6
    knoppix home=/dev/hda6 config=/dev/hda6
    knoppix home=/mnt/hda6 myconfig=/mnt/hda6
    knoppix home=/mnt/hda6 config=/mnt/hda6
    I know it's partially working since my home directory is in fact persistent, my desktop background is the right color and mode without image, and my browser retains the right "home" URL.

    However, my desktop icons, which I renamed and rearranged are, upon boot, not in the order nor have the names I gave them.

    ...and yes, I save my configuration *AFTER* I made all the changes I wanted to keep.

    What am I missing?

    Thx

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    I found it best to boot with 'knoppix home=scan' parameter. All the settings are stored in the persistent home anyway and the "save knoppix configuration" option could be kept as a backup.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11
    To include your desktop icons in your saved configuration, use the KNOPPIX menu on the Control Panel. The Configure/Save Knoppix configuration option gives you the chance to save your desktop icons plus any folders/files you may have added.

    Just check:
    d. All files on the Desktop (nnnnkB)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1
    Been pretty darned confused about this myself, and I'm not sure if Rouskis and Robin T Cox are in agreement or not. I've got a small ext2 partition configured as persistent home. Now, what I don't understand, is this: What will "save configuration" do that's in addition to my persistent home? Desktop files, for example, should certainly be saved in the persistent home, even if I don't use "save configuration," right? What about the rest of "save configuration"? I've been trying to determine this through experimentation, but have been getting confusing results.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    IIRC, when I did save configuration, it saved my settings including the network stuff for my wireless card. Saving to persistant home didn't save the network stuff but everything else, including downloads and documents missed in save configuration. FWIW, I used both, first saving to home and then save config, and then when I booted up the cd, I'd type:
    Code:
    knoppix myconfig=scan and home=scan dma idebus=66 noeject
    . That got me optimal settings and all my docs and network stuff. I did try one without the other and something was always missing.

    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8 persistent home directory
    By ddrex in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
  2. Persistent home directory
    By Geof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
  3. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  4. persistent HOME directory doesn't work!
    By zblace in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 10:48 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 01:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99