Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: newbie: would knoppix be ok on this system?

  1. #1

    newbie: would knoppix be ok on this system?

    Hey everyone! Two people have pointed me in the direction of KNOPPIX for my second attempt at linux. I am a medical student with almost NO TIME to spare on this stuff but I absolutely can't deal with the trojans, virus's and spyware that comes along with MS anymore...

    My system: (and I NEED this hardware to work)

    Computer Model Latitude D600
    BIOS Vendor Dell Computer Corporation
    BIOS Version A06
    BIOS Date 08-19-03
    Memory Slot 1 Description [DIMM_A]: 256Mb
    Memory Slot 2 Description [DIMM_B]: 256Mb

    Network Card = Adapters Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card - Packet Scheduler Miniport

    DVD/CD-ROM Drives SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324B
    Disk Drives HITACHI_DK23EB-40 37.26Gb
    Display Adapters MOBILITY RADEON 9000 32Mb
    IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    Keyboards Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mice and Other Pointing Devices USB Human Interface Device
    Alps Touch Pad
    Monitors Default Monitor - (Standard monitor types)
    Sound Devices SigmaTel C-Major Audio
    USB Controllers Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
    Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD


    How ugly or hard would it be for a newbie to get this hardware working with knoppix?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    The good thing about Knoppix is that you can try it out without having to mess your machine up and check that everything really does work before doing a HD install.

    The Knoppix CD is a 'live' CD, so as long as your PC will boot from CD (usually a BIOS setting - 'first boot device - CDROM') then just put the CD in and try it!

    You can even use Knoppix like this 'forever' if you like!

    If everything works, then consider a HD install, but try everything first. Another clever aspect is the install script, it sets up Linux based on the settings Knoppix has autodetected, so plug everything in that you want to work before doing the HD install!

    Right your machine..... 128Mb ram or more is a good idea.

    Stu.....

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    oops, I see the 512Mb now!

  4. #4
    great stu, thanks man, I'll give the CD thing a try and see if I can get my ethernet up and working and video up and working enough to download a free version of something that will open powerpoint presentation (all our notes are in ppt files).

    Any more tips, hints, tricks, pittfalls to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    The OpenOffice.org office suite (also known as OO.o ) is pre-loaded on Knoppix and is very good, I'm pretty sure it reads powerpoint, I'll check in just a moment.

    Stu.....

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Oh! Forgot to say, there is a Windows version of OO.o if you wanted to try it out before, from www.openoffice.org

    Actually thinking about it, this is one of the three main packages why I moved to Linux, that and the good fortune of discovering Knoppix and having a broadband connection go in. The packages were:-

    Mozilla web browser
    The GIMP brilliant image editor
    and OpenOffice.org

    All excellent.

    Stu.....

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I downloaded a ppt file at random from the web "In memorandum of Robert E Shope MD" and OO.o opened if fine.

    Interesting bloke.

    OO.o had to do an 'import ppt' so maybe it's not a perfect everytime solution?

    Stu.....

  8. #8
    STU!

    I just ran the knoppix bootable and knoppix is SWEET. There are really only two things keeping me from doing a HD install and scrapping windows all together..

    1.) Lack of wireless ethernet card support
    2.) I don't know how filesharing works- I need my laptop and desktop to be able to synch files so I can print my lectures after I take my notes. Can this even be done between windows-linux machiens or how does linux-linux file sharing work?

    Thanks Stu and guys, you're awesome, you just might have converted one more from the dark side!

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I don't know much about wireless, I can only afford wires!!!!

    1). I think www.linuxquestions.org has a section which list what in the world of wireless will work, most manufacturers don't seem to be too helpful with Linux drivers (or providing information so they can be written.)

    2). The thing you need is 'samba' which lets you network and share with windows machines either as a server or a client, printers too. A client is preconfigured on Knoppix. You can plug into a windows network and try 'LinNeghborhood' or use 'SMB:' in the konqueror browser. Beyond that I'm a bit stuck. My home network is two machines, both Knoppix!

    If you cannot make the move now, why not practice with the live CD, you'll be ready for when you can!

    (Or dig out an old PC (with 128Mb ram!) and have it running on that as a second cheap system?)

    Stu.....

  10. #10
    tried both knoppix and mandrake tonight on my DESKTOP (not laptop) and have to say KNOPPIX is SUPERIOR to mandrakes Live version. Mandrake was able to detect my screen size properly and unable to detect my ethernet settings.

    Makes me want to switch to linux on my desktop too...

    The only problem is my TV card (I have an all-in-wonder 9700) and printer (epson C80)...

    So solutions I'm still looking for:

    TRUE 1300 WLAN driver (wrapper?) for my laptop
    ATI RADEON ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 TV WRAPPER (I found it but couldn't get it working)
    EPSON C80 driver

    what do you all think

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix to create my own system?
    By Ryan450 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:09 AM
  2. the best backup system for knoppix?
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
  3. System recovery with Knoppix
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
  4. Will my system run knoppix?? :|
    By darkmaniac in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 05:03 AM
  5. No root file system (but system works)
    By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75