Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Restoring default X behavior

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    badalona
    Posts
    15

    Restoring default X behavior

    After remastering and updating a few times, I've lost the default behavior of starting X as user knoppix without asking for password. Now it starts kdm or xdm (depending of which one I select), but it sticks in the login screen, and, as there is no password, it won't let me login.

    I could kill it and start another X server, but I want it to go as straight as possible to a usable system, because I can cope with this trouble, but many of the people that will be using it won' be able to fix it.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    badalona
    Posts
    15
    I've made a few advances... I've renamed /etc/init.d/S99xdm to K99xdm and S99kdm to S99xdm. Then I made a symlink to /etc/init.d/xsession named S99xsession.

    It is the script that knoppix executes at the end of runlevel 5 when booting from cd. The problem now is, I only get a background and the pointer, then it stops, starts again, stops again, and suggests me to 'check it and try again'

    The problem is, I don't know where to check! There's nothing in the logs of interest, only three warnings unrelated to this.

    Any ideas?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    badalona
    Posts
    15

    A little help will be of use

    Can anyone please point me to where do I have to look to solve this? Config files, symlinks, etc... I don't now where else to look!!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    badalona
    Posts
    15
    So it seems that I'll have to start over from a new, fresh Knoppix and update it and remove all the stuff I don't need and so :P

Similar Threads

  1. alt-tab behavior
    By dtz in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 07:10 AM
  2. Strange Sound Behavior
    By sgs9198 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 11:15 PM
  3. Linksys WPC11 Strange Behavior
    By mloiterman in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 10:33 PM
  4. restoring partition
    By thesystem in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 06:32 PM
  5. Default behavior of Knoppix
    By mag in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC Getting Started Manual With Lot of 8 Floppy Discs picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC Getting Started Manual With Lot of 8 Floppy Discs

$24.99



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Vintage Apple MacDraw released 1984 User Guide (Has Wear & Tear - See Photos) picture

Vintage Apple MacDraw released 1984 User Guide (Has Wear & Tear - See Photos)

$9.99



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00