Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Now for a MEDIA PLAYER..........

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5

    Now for a MEDIA PLAYER..........

    Some sites that I regularly visit need M$ Media player. Is there a player that I can use with knoppix or is there a download I can get to use on the sites that require M$ Media Player? Thanks.

    BiggJeff74

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You could alway try wine to install media player, don't no if it will work but for now thats your only option, I haven't heard of a windows media player equiv.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Now for a MEDIA PLAYER..........

    Quote Originally Posted by BiggJeff74
    Some sites that I regularly visit need M$ Media player. Is there a player that I can use with knoppix or is there a download I can get to use on the sites that require M$ Media Player? Thanks.

    BiggJeff74
    apt-get install mplayer-??? w32codecs mplayer-mozilla replace the ??? with the version you want 386, k7 or 686.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Now for a MEDIA PLAYER..........

    Quote Originally Posted by BiggJeff74
    Some sites that I regularly visit need M$ Media player. Is there a player that I can use with knoppix or is there a download I can get to use on the sites that require M$ Media Player? Thanks.

    BiggJeff74
    BiggJeff74,

    Stephen is giving you the right info, but you will need the following line in your /etc/apt/sources.list

    Code:
    deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
    After you do this, do an apt-get update, and you should be able to grab mplayer and the required codecs. If you want to watch streams that are embeded in the browser, then you will need to also apt-get mozilla-mplayer.

    For some reason, I'm not able to get all Windows media streams to work when they are embeded into Mozilla. However if you have the w32codecs package, you will be able to watch quicktime streams (which are used in most movie trailers) flawlessly...at least I've never had any problem with them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Regarding that last post of mine, does anyone have any tips regarding how to get Windows streams working better. I find that initially after I install mozilla-mlayer these streams work fine, but they consistently seem to fail on a number of different machines of mine after a while. I don't know why. Frankly I'd have no use for these things except that my wife likes to preview audio streams on some CD's before she buys. Sometimes there are no RealPlayer options.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You know, sometiems I like being proven wrong ^

Similar Threads

  1. media player/playlists etc.
    By styven in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
  2. Creating 'Thin Client' Media Player
    By mduvall216 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 05:48 PM
  3. [klik] Kaffeine Media Player
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 06:10 AM
  4. Knoppix Media Center
    By PiepScuim in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 06:55 AM
  5. Media test
    By stonent in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari SX212 Modem for IBM Systems w/ Box, Owner's Manual & Power Adapter NOS picture

Atari SX212 Modem for IBM Systems w/ Box, Owner's Manual & Power Adapter NOS

$125.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS picture

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS

$120.00