-
start sshd at boot time
I use floppyconfig to boot.
How do I configure Knoppix to start sshd and generate keys - at boot time?
Assuming that I save my knoppix configuration before the re-boot.
I looked at various posts for sshd but being new to knoppix I had difficulty understanding the steps.
I need a simple and fast way to do this.
-
Senior Member
registered user
i have posted a scrip on this forum somewhere, it does almost what you want.
First it gives me Swedish keyboard, then it generates the keys (new every boot), then it starts sshd and asks for a password for knoppix (i use it to setup a cdbased sftpsession asap).
Code:
loadkeys se-latin1.kmap.gz; ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key; ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key; ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key; sshd; passwd knoppix
The loadkeys part you may edit to something that suits you (or remove entirely).
If you want to save things, hmmm save the /etc/ssh directory and copy it back after reboot (with a script perhaps) then in the same scipt you can start the sshd like i did.
was it clear ? if not ask on.
-
Senior Member
registered user
would that work with anything? such as hdparm -S 2 /dev/hda
-
Senior Member
registered user
you could put that in lilo if i remember corectly. or in a early rc. file.
-
Senior Member
registered user
well i'm trying to get knoppix to do that when I boot it up, I saved the config and I was wondering if I couold edit it to do that.
-
a few questions:
1. why does the /etc/ssh directory need to be saved?
2. i saved your code on my floppy but i assume i need to run this code as root (correct?) my system logs me in as the default user knoppix
so how do i run this script as root?
-
1. The /etc/ssh directory doesn't need to be saved, but if you save it and incorporate it into the knoppix image using remastering, the keys that are generated will be the same keys evertime you boot. If you don't save them they are re-generated everytime.
2. To login as user root, you type "sudo" before the command.
Ex. sudo passwd knoppix
Hope this helps
- Robbert
Similar Threads
-
By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 09:14 PM
-
By paradox87 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 11:38 PM
-
By joekm in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 03:37 AM
-
By bubazoo in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-22-2003, 06:51 AM
-
By Xam_nl in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

cisco cp-8865 ip phone
$400.00

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99

UBIQUITI UVP-TOUCH VoIP Desktop Touchscreen Smart Phone
$55.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink SIP-T58W Bluetooth Cordless Handset IP Phone 7in Touch WiFi - Used
$329.00