Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: "Poor Man's Install" keeps defaulting to first HD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228

    "Poor Man's Install" keeps defaulting to first HD

    I want to run my remastered KNOPPIX distribution on a test partition (HDA3). My default boot partition is HDA2 (800M), that I use to boot my development PC.

    After I remaster KNOPPIX, I copy the KNOPPIX compressed filesystem to the KNOPPIX subdirectory on HDA3. Then I reboot with a CD using the "fromhdd=/dev/hda3" switch.

    However, the boot process keeps finding the "KNOPPIX CD" on /dev/hda2. If I copy the KNOPPIX compressed filesystem to HDA2, the remastered filesystem works great. However, I would like to be able to do my remastering and keep HDA2 as a pristine (known good) version of my remaster.

    Anyone else running into this? It must be something I'm doing wrong, as it happens on two separate development PC's.

    Thanks in advance,

    ~pau1

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Still an issue, any help greatly appreciated. Just thought I would "tickle" it to get it on the new posts....

    thanks in advance,


    ~pau1

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I would say you already have the solution at hand use hda3 as the pristine and hda2 as the test it seems to want to go with the first instance it finds so unless you can track that down in the scripts and change it which is probably more trouble than it is worth take the path of least resistance.

Similar Threads

  1. Floppy for Poor Man's Install?
    By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
  2. Debian install "end session" & "shutdown/
    By ihcnut in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM
  3. How To boot without CD after Poor Man's Install
    By prehis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 04:44 AM
  4. "Poor Man's Dual Boot" with KNOPPIX 3.4
    By pau1knopp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 10:27 PM
  5. Poor man's install???
    By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98