Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Modem connection disrupted after upgrade with apt-get

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hull, UK (who says Kiwis don't fly!)
    Posts
    10

    Modem connection disrupted after upgrade with apt-get

    Not sure this will turn out to be a hardware problem, but here goes:

    I have just completed an 'Upgrade' via apt-get (NOT a 'dist-upgrade'). The
    only resulting problem I'm aware of is that I can no longer dial out.

    The TR (is that actually DTR) and RTS indicators on the modem are switching
    on and off - off for about half a second, on for about a second. If wvdial
    catches them in the 'off' stage dial up begins successfully but is
    immediately killed by the 'on' part of the cycle.

    Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening, or how I can find
    out, and what solutions there might be.

    Here are the results of statserial:

    Device: /dev/ttyS1

    Signal Pin Pin Direction Status Full
    Name (25) (9) (computer) Name
    ----- --- --- --------- ------ -----
    FG 1 - - - Frame Ground
    TxD 2 3 out - Transmit Data
    RxD 3 2 in - Receive Data
    RTS 4 7 out 1 Request To Send
    CTS 5 8 in 0 Clear To Send
    DSR 6 6 in 0 Data Set Ready
    GND 7 5 - - Signal Ground
    DCD 8 1 in 0 Data Carrier Detect
    DTR 20 4 out 1 Data Terminal Ready
    RI 22 9 in 0 Ring Indicator

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Alisdair

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    Have you tried reconfiguring the /etc/wvdial.conf with wvdialconf?
    wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
    I had a similar thing happen and my conf file had gotten hosed by the upgrade. I don't know if it'll help you but it's all I could think of so I figured I'd throw it out there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hull, UK (who says Kiwis don't fly!)
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the idea, but wvdial.conf looks good, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it or the modem. Given half a chance it looks as though the dialup would go through just fine if it wasn't being interrupted by something else taking over the serial connection.

    The indicator lights start blinking during boot. I've had a look through dmesg but I'm too ignorant to really know what I'm looking for. I've also tried switching off various processes through the SysV-Init editor, but if that might work I haven't struck gold yet!


    So, got any other ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hull, UK (who says Kiwis don't fly!)
    Posts
    10
    Hang on a minute - I've just noticed the data off statserial is for ttyS1, but my modem is/was connected via ttyS0, but statserial didn't return anything for that!

    I guess I'll poke blindly around and see if changing the port setup makes a difference.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by almala
    Hang on a minute - I've just noticed the data off statserial is for ttyS1, but my modem is/was connected via ttyS0, but statserial didn't return anything for that!

    I guess I'll poke blindly around and see if changing the port setup makes a difference.
    Speaking of blind make sure that you have purged the brltty program it uses a serial port to communicate with a braille terminal it may have been started taking up the first port.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hull, UK (who says Kiwis don't fly!)
    Posts
    10
    Stephen, you've hit it right on the nail. I've just logged on to say that after two hours of 'poking blindly around' I worked out that brltty was the culprit - polling the serial port.

    All is now well and I can go to bed a happy man.

    Good night!

Similar Threads

  1. no connection to internet with a T-Ethernet Modem
    By Lachinger in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
  2. cable modem connection drops
    By wayne in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:20 AM
  3. Modem Not Detected After Kernel Upgrade
    By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 03:42 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 12:23 PM
  5. Cable Modem Connection Problem
    By wishbone in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00