-
Networking between Knoppix & XP
some help and some questions:
I have on a home network connected 2 XPs + 1 Knoppix machine.
The knoppix machine is there to store file as a backup (initialy)
How to access Windows from Knoppix:
1 - connect all machines on the Lan
2 - start all machines
3 - Go to the XP directories you want to have access from Linux
4 - click right/property/share --->share the diretory to network users
5 - Start samba server on koppix (menu Knoppix/Services/Startsamba server)
6 - Open LinNeighborhood (Menu Internet/)
7 - You should get something like that:
Linux
------XP1
------XP2
8 - click right (scan as user) to see the different directories of the XP machines (enter XP psswd)
9 - Click mount on the directory you want to be able to read/write from Linux
10 - Go to Konqueror /mnt and you will have access to your XP directory
That's it - I hope this procedure will help someone, it took me some times to figure it out.
Now part II
How do I access Linux from my XP machine?
At this point I can see the Knoppix server from Windows but I can log on.
Any help?
Thanks,
-
Junior Member
registered user
Precisely the same situation & question here. Yann, if you're still stuck (not a recent post I guess) I'm doing a little searching and playing about - if I find a solution I'll post back, anyone any newbie-pointers? Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
if you know the name of the computer you could also type smb://(name here) into Konqueror though its not as easy to mount. (lin doesn't work for me so I have have to mount manually. smbmount //(name of computer)/(shared folder) //(place where folder to be mount is)
and if you need a name and password add this to the end -o username=(name), password=(password)
-
Junior Member
registered user
Found this quite helpful too
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick
Didn't have to log on here, the filesystem on Knoppix.workgroup.net came up automatically, no fuss, viewing it on xp server.workgroup.net
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi, Im new to Knoppix and am lovin it!!
Right now I`m listening to Lennon`s "The dream is Over" located on my other computer (W9
but on my main box with Knoppix 3.3 Live CD and XMMS.
I can easily Network to any shared folders on the 98 box using LinNeighborhood on this computer with Knoppix.
I can also easily "mount" and access (read) files/folders on the XP side of this box.
The only thing I havent figured out yet is how to get at the Linux "side" from my W98 box!
I can indeed "see" under Windows "Entire Network" another listing: *Workgroup* and when I click on this, I then see *Knoppix* but when I click on Knoppix I get a Windows error message something to the effect that I have NO access priveledges to Knoppix.
Can someone shed some light into this matter for me or is this a Windows issue?
Thanks for any insight to this NEWBIE
Matt
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have played around with this some, and my remastered CD's are set to share the whole knoppix filesystem and also just the /home's.
What I've determined is that, when running live from CD, you cannot connect to the writeable portion of your knoppix box- the dynamic ramdisk does not allow either nfs or samba to work. There is also a fixed ramdisk where for example /etc is kept. This can be connected to and even written to using NFS. I have been able to connect using NFS when I've created a persistent home, and when my mounted directory is within the persistent home, also with NFS.
I assume that properly configured samba shares (share for directories under /home/knoppix could also be accessed in this way when you run live and have a persistent home.
Hard drive installs naturally do not have this limitation, so any samba shares you create can be mapped into network drives in widnows as normal.
Similar Threads
-
By Case in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
-
By 23skidoo in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 04:02 AM
-
By Fenix*NBK* in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-30-2004, 01:09 PM
-
By jhrich in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 10:50 PM
-
By silicosick in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99