Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Grub loads, but doesn't display menu.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15

    Grub loads, but doesn't display menu.

    I've got a problem. Grub loads, but only into commandline mode.

    If I issue configfile /boot/grub/grub.conf at the comand line then my boot menu shows up. The entries in the boot menu work (well, the first and third ones do, anyway).

    This is my grub.conf, if that makes a difference:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    title Knoppix (2.4.24)
    root (hd2,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs ro root=/dev/hde3
    initrd /boot/System.map-2.4.24-xfs
    title Knoppix Biv (2.4.42)
    root (hd2,2)
    kernel /boot/bzImage-biv-2.4.42 ro root=/dev/hde3
    initrd /boot/System.map
    title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Haven't even had a chance to figure out why Knoppix Biv doesn't start. Sigh.

    Did I incorrectly install Grub?

    Thanks, in advance,
    --Robert

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Try to rename grub.conf to menu.lst (the name of the Grub config file is menu.lst).

    If You need more info see also http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...#Configuration (it's a long document.....)

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by knixkw
    Try to rename grub.conf to menu.lst (the name of the Grub config file is menu.lst).

    If You need more info see also http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...#Configuration (it's a long document.....)

    Good luck.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give that a try and let you know how this works out.

    --Robert

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    Well, that didn't work. The documentation also suggests that simply having the file menu.lst would work, but it doesn't.

    I just need to know how to get grub to find and load the menu.lst or grub.conf file automatically. Does anyone have an idea?

    Thnks,
    --Robert

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    hmm, GRUB doesn't know where the menu.lst is located.

    For partition 1 on Your first ide disk these are the commands on GRUB commandline:

    # Tell GRUB where /boot/grub/menu.lst is located
    root (hd0,0)
    # write MBR
    setup (hd0)

    Pay attention on the crazy GRUB numbering of disks and partitions, please...

    Good luck!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by knixkw
    hmm, GRUB doesn't know where the menu.lst is located.

    For partition 1 on Your first ide disk these are the commands on GRUB commandline:

    # Tell GRUB where /boot/grub/menu.lst is located
    root (hd0,0)
    # write MBR
    setup (hd0)

    Pay attention on the crazy GRUB numbering of disks and partitions, please...

    Good luck!
    OK, my /boot partition is on (hd0,1). I had to shrink my windows partition and create a new partition at the end of my hdd in order to install grub. However, I still like the chainloading thing from grub.

    Oh well, I'll give it a try, wish me luck!

    --Robert

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    the place GRUB looks for menu is hardcoded in stage2(forgot), just copy the menu.lst to where it is expected and you will be fine. I usually just do a 'type stage2'(lots of rubbish on screen but also the menu file name) and noted it and copy the file over.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    Found the problem. I had previously intuited that I just didn't know where to put the menu.lst file (and whether or not the name was menu.lst -- "list" or menu.1st -- "first") so I made one menu.lst in the /boot directory and sym links everywhere I could think of to get grub to find it.

    The subtle problem is that I used the absolute filename ( menu.lst --> /boot/menu.lst ) for the link targets. Mistake, grub finds the files differently then does linux once its running (I guess). I changed the link targets to relative references ( menu.lst --> ../menu.lst ) and now it works like a charm.

    Thanks for the help guys.

    --Robert

Similar Threads

  1. Start KICKER when FLUXBOX loads
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
  2. Where is /boot/grub/menu.lst in knoppix 3.7
    By dimpflmoser in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 04:22 AM
  3. Filesystem not found, after kernal loads (LiveCd)
    By greygooseplz in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 02:02 AM
  5. i cant change resolution! it aways loads 640x480!!
    By lucasmatos in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T) picture

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)

$329.98



Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy picture

Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy

$499.99



BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5

BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5" SCSI Drive ,Wi-Fi,For Macintosh, Amiga, PC

$52.99



Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2 picture

Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2

$75.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99