Try to rename grub.conf to menu.lst (the name of the Grub config file is menu.lst).
If You need more info see also http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...#Configuration (it's a long document.....)
Good luck.
I've got a problem. Grub loads, but only into commandline mode.
If I issue configfile /boot/grub/grub.conf at the comand line then my boot menu shows up. The entries in the boot menu work (well, the first and third ones do, anyway).
This is my grub.conf, if that makes a difference:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
title Knoppix (2.4.24)
root (hd2,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs ro root=/dev/hde3
initrd /boot/System.map-2.4.24-xfs
title Knoppix Biv (2.4.42)
root (hd2,2)
kernel /boot/bzImage-biv-2.4.42 ro root=/dev/hde3
initrd /boot/System.map
title Windows 2000
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haven't even had a chance to figure out why Knoppix Biv doesn't start. Sigh.
Did I incorrectly install Grub?
Thanks, in advance,
--Robert
Try to rename grub.conf to menu.lst (the name of the Grub config file is menu.lst).
If You need more info see also http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...#Configuration (it's a long document.....)
Good luck.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give that a try and let you know how this works out.Originally Posted by knixkw
--Robert
Well, that didn't work. The documentation also suggests that simply having the file menu.lst would work, but it doesn't.
I just need to know how to get grub to find and load the menu.lst or grub.conf file automatically. Does anyone have an idea?
Thnks,
--Robert
hmm, GRUB doesn't know where the menu.lst is located.
For partition 1 on Your first ide disk these are the commands on GRUB commandline:
# Tell GRUB where /boot/grub/menu.lst is located
root (hd0,0)
# write MBR
setup (hd0)
Pay attention on the crazy GRUB numbering of disks and partitions, please...
Good luck!
OK, my /boot partition is on (hd0,1). I had to shrink my windows partition and create a new partition at the end of my hdd in order to install grub. However, I still like the chainloading thing from grub.Originally Posted by knixkw
Oh well, I'll give it a try, wish me luck!
--Robert
the place GRUB looks for menu is hardcoded in stage2(forgot), just copy the menu.lst to where it is expected and you will be fine. I usually just do a 'type stage2'(lots of rubbish on screen but also the menu file name) and noted it and copy the file over.
Found the problem. I had previously intuited that I just didn't know where to put the menu.lst file (and whether or not the name was menu.lst -- "list" or menu.1st -- "first") so I made one menu.lst in the /boot directory and sym links everywhere I could think of to get grub to find it.
The subtle problem is that I used the absolute filename ( menu.lst --> /boot/menu.lst ) for the link targets. Mistake, grub finds the files differently then does linux once its running (I guess). I changed the link targets to relative references ( menu.lst --> ../menu.lst ) and now it works like a charm.
Thanks for the help guys.
--Robert

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00
HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00