Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: About to try HD install for first time - SWAP size?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    33

    About to try HD install for first time - SWAP size?

    Hi All,

    I just got knoppix 3.3 today, I've not played with knoppix much before and I was wondering; I just went and wiped the HD ready for an all knoppix install. I made up the usual 3 partitions as per my fairly standard recipe, however I got a little bit of a question arising out of it all:

    Normally it's reckoned that as a broad rule of thumb you'd want 2.5 times your memory as a swap size. however I see comments like 512Mb max. If I got 512Mb mem, then I would guess that indicates +1280M (or so) for swap instead of the more usual +512M.

    I can spare it, so should I, or not? What are the arguments for and against this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    The old "rule of thumb" 2.5 x RAM is obsolete and has been since 2.4 kernels.

    Linux' use of swap is frighteningly sophisticated.

    As I see it, popping things which will be seldom used into swap makes sense. Although swap is (much) slower than RAM, the more RAM you have available (due to use of swap) to serve the more frequently called things the quicker the job will be done.

    In short, the only argument is swap or no swap. Use more than 1/2 Gig or so and you're just wasting space which could be filled with .oggs or Buffy movies............

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    The old "rule of thumb" 2.5 x RAM is obsolete and has been since 2.4 kernels.
    Pardon me I am sure, I'm an old bloke and we tend not to be THAT trendy ;O)

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Linux' use of swap is frighteningly sophisticated.
    I see, I may not understand fully, but I'm glad enough to hear it!


    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    As I see it, popping things which will be seldom used into swap makes sense. Although swap is (much) slower than RAM, the more RAM you have available (due to use of swap) to serve the more frequently called things the quicker the job will be done.
    Yep, that was pretty much my take on it too.

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    In short, the only argument is swap or no swap. Use more than 1/2 Gig or so and you're just wasting space which could be filled with .oggs or Buffy movies............
    Ah, I'm not sure oggs and buffy are really me these days (or even long ago now I think about it), and this is a prototype for a home server I want to build; Could it be that having enough swap beyond all possible doubt may not be such a criminal waste, when seen in that light?

    I was perhaps a little less than thoughtful earlier when I referred to "my usual recipe", please do not even remotely misinterpret this as me knowing what on earth I am doing, as I really, really don't! ;O) (I am slowly trying to remedy that in the way that us stumbling old blokes tend to though!)

    Thanks heaps for your insight! (still not quite sure whether to "waste" or not mind you, but now it's less tempting than it was earlier) [progress?]

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4.0 DVD Install size
    By GerryA in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 05:11 PM
  2. 3.4 install- can't change the swap?
    By explosion242 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 05:20 PM
  3. Knoppix HD install, but SWAP isn't being used..
    By Jerunk in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 08:03 PM
  4. knoppix hdd install and swap partition ?
    By raphael24 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM
  5. Hdd Install of swap file
    By fjon13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



LOT OF 2 OEM APPLE MAGSAFE POWER ADAPTERS - MD A1172 AND MD A1222 picture

LOT OF 2 OEM APPLE MAGSAFE POWER ADAPTERS - MD A1172 AND MD A1222

$25.00



apple oem 20w charger usb-c power adapter picture

apple oem 20w charger usb-c power adapter

$9.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$20.59



Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air picture

Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air

$8.99



Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter  A1344 ~ FREE S/H picture

Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter A1344 ~ FREE S/H

$12.99



Genuine OEM Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter 30 Pin Charger picture

Genuine OEM Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter 30 Pin Charger

$12.99



2 x Genuine OEM Apple A1555 Duckhead US Prong Plug MagSafe Adapter 45W 60W 85W picture

2 x Genuine OEM Apple A1555 Duckhead US Prong Plug MagSafe Adapter 45W 60W 85W

$7.99



Genuine Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter Wall Charger Block MacBook Air iPad OEM picture

Genuine Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter Wall Charger Block MacBook Air iPad OEM

$14.39



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99