-
v.3.3 installer
(tried searching... just found different flavors of question but not exactly)
I plan to hd install using the v3.3 installer on partitions that are on same hd as my XP (boo hiss) install. I'm not clear on if the installer will make the Linux partition bootable. I don't want that. I want to boot to Linux using this boot cd option I've read tid bits about. Will the installer give that option? or do I have to do something else later to get and burn the image to cd? can the knoppix live cd be used for that (booting to hd installed version)?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think you can do what you want to do... Pretty sure I've read posts where people have done that, then want to install lilo or grub. I think the option to choose is to install lilo to the partition, and not the mbr - if you install to the mbr, then lilo will load asking if you want to boot to linux or windows...
Check out http://thefredsite.free.fr/linux.php?id=80, the text is in French but you get to see screenshots of all the (English) dialogs you are asked for the install.
For your last question, yes the Knoppix CD can be used for booting to a HDD install (from an earlier post, seems that the cheat code would be "knoppix root=/dev/hda6", if you have installed knoppix to hda6 that is).
HTH
-
Great info, thanks!
I've tried Fedora w/KDE 3.1 and looked at screens of other Linux GUI's and as far as I can tell, nothing beats the way the Knoppix installed KDE 3.3 gui looks and feels... tasteful and intuitive. After seeing the frenchy site, I feel ready to blow dust off an old HD and give it a whirl.
With how many distros there are, there should be a site with screen grabs of various distro installs. Would help noobs alot in just getting started.
Actually the distro home pages themselves ought to have that, oh well.
Similar Threads
-
By beforewisdom in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-26-2005, 07:15 PM
-
By M$lave in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:04 AM
-
By mstromberg in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 01:34 AM
-
By Danielx11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM
-
By Vaquero in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99