look for files ending in .deb or use
instead.Code:apt-get install *
The * stands for any number of any caracter in any order/combination.
so apt-get install mozilla shold giv you mozilla
Hi I have just finished getting my networking linux problem fixed and now I have started to download some files
but I am haviung great difficultys working out how to actually install things on linux etc..
does anyone know a site for absolute newbs that has indepth info and tutorials on how to achieve this...?
specifically I tried to install a file and I got this error...
<home/knoppix/winex3.3-build3.i586.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
RESULT=1
So I looked up this alien software on the net and found it and it said I had to donwload perl etc and some other software directly in debian ...
am i working towards the right lines of getting this winex installed? or is their another avenue I should be exploring... thanks
mike
look for files ending in .deb or use
instead.Code:apt-get install *
The * stands for any number of any caracter in any order/combination.
so apt-get install mozilla shold giv you mozilla
IIRC alien worked out of the box on Knoppix. As in:
alien -i packagename.rpm (to install a .rpm).
That said, it's easier to stick to apt about which there's a good sticky in the "Hdd install" section.
ok i tried the following
and i got this in returnCode:alien -i winex3.3-build3.i586.rpm
does anyone know what this means and what i can do now to resolve this problem??Code:dpkg: error processing winex_3.3-1_i386.deb (--install): trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/fnt2bdf`, which is also in package wine-utils dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe) Errors were encountered while processing: winex_3.3-1_i386.deb
thanks
mike

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory
$399.99
LOT OF 8 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 MTA36ASF2G72PZ SERVER MEMORY ECC
$500.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Lot Of 5 Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R Server Memory RAM M393B2G70DB0, WORKING
$69.99