Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix and Crossover Windows: no graphic install. allowed?

  1. #1

    Knoppix and Crossover Windows: no graphic install. allowed?

    I am completely new to the world of Linux and have a lot of difficulty installing anything in a Linux environment. I was using Mandrake until my hard disk crashed and wiped out my favorite Linux distribution. Right now I am running Knoppix until I change computers.

    A friend of mine said it's possible to edit a version of Knoppix to one's taste. That's my intention.

    About a year and a half ago, I bought a distribution of Crossover Windows and I was running a certain software program on it (the name of which I shall not mention here to avoid ruffling people's feathers).

    Open Office is a possibility, but it means new reformatting each time I or a colleage of mine opens a document at work (i.e. OO changes paragraphs, the tabulation, and bullets become weird symbols).

    My friend says installing Crossover Windows on my Knoppix CD-ROM would work, but he also mentioned he thinks it would be impossible to install anything that would normally require a graphic environment, as any MSWindows program would do.

    What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Claude Routhier, Montréal

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    I am running Microsoft Office without problems on Knoppix using Crossover Office.

    Greetings,
    probono

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I have installed crossover office into a persistent (700M) home directory. When I want MS Office apps, I just boot the knoppix cd with my "home=/dev/hda2" switch and it just works!

    Hope this helps

    ~pau1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    You will find that Knoppix (being a Debian based system) is much easier to edit/customise than Mandrake.

    The newer versions of Oo are better at matching MS Word formats than earlier versions, although Excel still has some problems with a spreadsheet edited by Oo. MS Word & Excel will run under Wine, so will very simple Access databases but it chokes on Access with visual basic coding in it.
    The latest Kword will also save in MSWord format but I haven't used it much so can't comment on how good the conversion is.

    (edit) Now I see this is an old post, got here following a link. Hope this helps somebody.

Similar Threads

  1. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  2. Networking XP w/ a crossover cable w/ Knoppix
    By 0x65destroyer in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 04:13 AM
  3. windows install under Knoppix?
    By far2bored in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 04:50 PM
  4. Finally: Dreamweaver MX on Knoppix (w/ Crossover Office)
    By probono in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 06:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Digital Equipment DEC RT101 PS/2 Vintage Keyboard Tested picture

Digital Equipment DEC RT101 PS/2 Vintage Keyboard Tested

$24.95



Vintage NRI Model 832 Microcomputer Case - See Photos picture

Vintage NRI Model 832 Microcomputer Case - See Photos

$295.00



Lot 8x HP D2297A 16MB 72-Pin Parity SIMM 128MB 70ns 4Mx36 1818-5661 Vintage picture

Lot 8x HP D2297A 16MB 72-Pin Parity SIMM 128MB 70ns 4Mx36 1818-5661 Vintage

$69.98



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts picture

ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts

$44.89