Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: kernel panic upon heartbeat negotiation

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15

    kernel panic upon heartbeat negotiation

    I'm using a 3Com 3c574_cs PCMCIA networking card in my HD -installed system with a recompiled 2.4.22 kernel. This formerly worked fine, but now I'm connecting to an Me box to dump some archives. Right when my card is negotiating speed, I get this message:

    "eth0: found link beat"

    What used to follow was the (negotiated) 100Mbps speed. Now what I'm getting is a crash. I've included what I thought was relevant from /var/log/messages. The "cs: warning: no high memory space available!" messages I've gotten all along, even when the card worked, don't know if it's pertinent - it seems to straighten itself out.
    =========================================
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pm]
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0a.0
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:0c.0
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 01:00.0
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0a.1
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: Yenta IRQ list 0c98, PCI irq9
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: Socket status: 30000006
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: Yenta IRQ list 0c98, PCI irq9
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: Socket status: 30000010
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: warning: no high memory space available!
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: unable to map card memory!
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: unable to map card memory!
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: Intel PCIC probe: not found.
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: Intel PCIC probe: not found.
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0820-0x08ff: clean.
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x080f: clean.
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x398-0x39f 0x4d0-0x4d7
    Mar 20 19:32:40 gwlap kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
    Mar 20 19:32:41 gwlap kernel: eth0: Megahertz 574B at io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:00:86:58:09:2F.
    Mar 20 19:32:41 gwlap kernel: ASIC rev 1, 64K FIFO split 1:1 Rx:Tx, autoselect MII interface.

    =========================================

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    I found the answer ... I was browsing an unrelated thread, and discovered mii-tool, part of David Hinds' net-tools package. I used mii-tool to force 100-baseTx (i.e., no auto-negotiation), and life is good!

    For you gurus ... how do I:
    * Write a script to force this (mii-tool -A 110-baseTx -F 100-baseTxHD 100-baseTxFD eth0)

    * Use the script upon startup to force 100-baseTx AFTER the card is initialized & BEFORE autonegotiation starts??

    Any help welcomed!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    It-Lee
    Posts
    15
    Uh ... I guess I didn't find the problem. it's still freezing (besides the fact that an mii-tool startup script is an unecessary kludge).

    When I boot my original kernel, installed from the Knoppix CD, eth0 auto-negotiates its speed just fine, with no hangs. As it is the same (2.4.22) kernel, the problem must be in something I didn't compile in. I looked thru my config, but nothing jumps out as obviously wrong. Can I get a suggestion or two from you more enlightened types??

Similar Threads

  1. remaster kernel--Kernel Panic: VFS......
    By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
  2. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  3. Kernel Panic?
    By Mentor in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 01:20 AM
  4. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors picture

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors

$290.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 256GB - Good

$474.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99