Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: X on 16MB RAM laptop?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    X on 16MB RAM laptop?

    I am trying to run X11 on a laptop with 16MB RAM and a 128MB swap file, but whenever I start KNOPPIX, /etc/init.d/xsession says that I need at least 16MB of RAM to run X Windows. When Knoppix starts, it says that there is 13384KB of ram detected, but when the system is starting up the BIOS says that there is 16000KB of ram. I'm guessing that the difference is taken up by SYSLINUX and the various programs etc, so is there a way to transfer the infomation in ram to the swap file, so I can run X?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    it is possible to run X but not KDE (the default) , try twm or icewm. they imay run on that system, slo o oo oo o o oo o ow l y but...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    55
    You might want to look at Feather Linux (http://featherlinux.berlios.de), Damn Small Linux (http://damnsmalllinux.org) or Flonix (http://www.flonix.com) as they're all Knoppix-based and are designed to run on systems with as little RAM as yours.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes, why did i not think of that? damn small should work.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    42
    I have the same problem except i have 64 Meg of ram....

    I am doing the poor mans install with loadlin. This worked for 3.3 and 3.4 when i also had win 98 on it. NOW that i have installed Win ME (from scratch) instead, I cannot get knoppix to boot; 3.3 or 3.4

    Using a knoppix boot floppy i can get it to work but I would rather use loadlin from DOS. I am able to get to DOS in ME by applying the real
    dos mode patch from.

    http://www.dewassoc.com/support/winme/real_dos.htm

    If i use loadlin in DOS i get my RAM stated as 13 and a bit MEG (i have 64) so Xsession cannot start and it says i need at least 16. This also happens if I use a ME boot disk to get to DOS.

    I was wondering if it is the ME boot disk which is taking up all the RAM and stopping me from using knoppix. Like i said it worked fine with 98 installed. I'm going to try using a win95 boot disk instead to see if the same prob happens.

    In windows my ram gets stated as 64 MEG so it seems ok but i will run a mem test when i get back.

    Is there another way to get to DOS in ME using F8 at boot? all i need is
    the command line so i can execute a batch file to launch knoppix.

    I cannot launch 3.4 from a floppy as there is no floppy boot for knoppix 3.4

    Also i cant go back to 98 as its a dodgy copy and i cant update it my ME
    is OK

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Make a swap file on a hard drive and then things will be much better. And I'd stick to icewm or fluxbox.

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop is getting very, very hot
    By matbehns in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  2. Thanks!! (about laptop)
    By objectconstant in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
  3. laptop
    By oneeyedelf1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
  4. Terminalserver Client with 16MB RAM
    By SeeKay in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 05:05 AM
  5. New Laptop
    By drlizau in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box picture

Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box

$1500.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



YEALINK  W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR picture

YEALINK W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR

$50.00