Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: modem problems of a simlimar/different nature.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5

    modem problems of a simlimar/different nature.

    Hello. Loving Knoppix thus so far, but would love it even more if able to use it to logon the web!
    Using KPPP I get the error "KPPP cannot find /dev/modem". I'm assuming this has to do with the Com port not matching up to the tty#? I have a HCF 56k PCI modem, on IRQ 10. I'm currently running Win2000 server. I'm going to experiment with the advice given in previous posts, to see if it works for me.

    I'm also curious about which default settings I need to change to maximize security after I do get it online. Any open ports, etc???

    If I can configure this successfully, and using it is as fun then, as it is now I'm considering doing away with my W2K server, and partitioning back to a FAT32 and using Knoppix from my harddrive. <currently on NTFS>

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You should be able to apt-get install Guarddog an easy to use firewall and allow whatever services you want to access either your machine or what services you want your machine to access on the internet. A good way to check any machine is to go to Gibson Research corporation and use their shields up testing over the internet to see what the status of your ports are this works for any operating system.

Similar Threads

  1. Serial Modem Problems
    By raysr in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 02:44 PM
  2. problems with modem
    By coastie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
  3. Newbie Modem problems...
    By Rorypyro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 10:53 PM
  4. problems with 56k modem
    By starsoldier in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 05:47 AM
  5. Modem problems
    By paco in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2002, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab 14.6 in Wi-Fi Tablet 256MB Black w/ Keyboard Case Bundle picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab 14.6 in Wi-Fi Tablet 256MB Black w/ Keyboard Case Bundle

$700.00



Lot of 50 Samsung PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM Modules picture

Lot of 50 Samsung PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM Modules

$8499.99