I started with Knoppix about 4 months ago and have updated it regularly. I use KDE.
I just bought a printer, a Brother HL-1440 and when I used the KDE Add Printer Wizard, it didn't know about the Brother printer. When I booted from the Knoppix CD and tried the Add Printer Wizard, it of course knew about a zillion more printers than my 'updated' Debian system, including the Brother HL-1440.
In fact, the 'updated' version didn't even know about my old printer, a Samsung ML-1210. When I moved my Knoppix system to the hard disk, I immediately added the Samsung. After innumrable updates and dist-updates, much printer information has been lost from my system. How come? What do I have to install to restore a reasonably complete add printer facility.
I managed to goof around with information on from linuxprinting.org and got both of my printers running on the system, one on the parallel port and the other as a USB printer. So I am in business. I am just wondering about resrtoring printer data bases and printer configuration. 'gv -h' indicated appropiate drivers were present. I don't have the foomatic-db installed; should I have it?

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00
Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99
Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99
Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86
Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99
Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.
$95.55