-
About the two versions of the install
Hi All,
I'm into day two here and I have managed to install knoppix to HD and it's booting pretty much ok as far as I know (no experience to be sure yet, of course!) I've done this three times now, trying to see if I can improve certain aspects of the install.
Biggest problem I've had is that using the "knx-install", the machine gets to about 99% installed, and then starts throwing up all sorts of cloop related errors, which by and large whizz past so fast I can not read them. It then reports the process was a success. Does this installer make any log files which I could use for a post mortem?
Also I am not sure if it corects the errors as it goes along, but the resulting installation seems to work anyway. The small insight I have into the nature of the errors is that it is struggling to read the CD, and it then appears to have to slow the drive to get the data read right, and this is what seems to be happening. Am I mad or is this what's likely to be going on?
Given all this, I did try to use the other flavour of installer - knoppix-install, and this only ever seems to tell me that I need to set up the hard disk to go further, and then allows me some tools to do that, then having done that it fails to use the drive, claiming it's not how it would like it to be (when I know for a fact that it's exactly what it said it wanted. It then offers that if I really know my stuff (which I don't, beyond being able to satisfy myself that it's wrong about the state of the drive) I can use "xxxxx" which I have no idea how I am supposed to impliment, or even where. This seems to be broken, or is there something I have yet to know about this? I've not even got a clue what I should be looking up or searching to find out.
I'd like to use the second one as I have seen it said that it offers a more debian like install, and since I ultimately want a server, then this would make a sensible choice, as I would benefit greatly form the extra partitions I would need on a server installation.
Personally, I'm fine working with fdisk, as long as I have a list of what's needed by the distro in question, and actaully quite enjoy setting that bit up as it's reward once you got it right, and not that difficult to do.
I don't know enough to do a full debian install on my own. I have tried in the past, and I know I have not been able to get it quite right. Not sure if it's the intructions or me or a mix of the two. Knoppix seems my last hope of getting from here to there as far as I know. Any good suggstions as to what I might try next?
BTW, it's probably not much of a deal for anyone else, but I just went and got firefox and it's working (I'm typing this using it!), so I feel much more at home already, since I use that as my main browser for windows and have done for some time now. (Since firebird) This last bit sure feels like a much needed small victory!
Similar Threads
-
By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
-
By hrymur in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:02 AM
-
By pistatio56 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 11:12 AM
-
By newguy in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$18.95

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal
$98.95