-
Senior Member
registered user
knx-hdinstall vs. knoppix-installer
Hi Colin, just from my experience, and I have re-installed quite a few time just to fine tune and correct installation mistakes, knx-hdinstall worked much better in my opinion. When I used knoppix-installer, it did'nt prompt me to make the swap partitions usable, so in the end I had a swap file partition that was not being used. And also knx-hdinstall gives you the option to pick from 3 server type and where to place the boot loader. I am not sure of the cloop errors you spoke about. I guess I am lucky cause I installed knoppix on a Compaq Presario laptop and the only problem I have is it doesnt completly shut off when you log out. And the Knoppix on my desktop, the only problem is it doesnt recognize my sound card BUT LINUX drivers make up for it and it works ok. So all in all I am satisfied. So even tho you use knx-hdinstall, as long as your system is running ok, dont worry about the cloop errors. There is a command to print out [copy] a file of the boot up sequence when all those little things are flying by. I think its called "dmesg -c" or something like that, but it saves that process as a text file so you can look thru to find discrepancies.
Not sure about what you said about computer struggling to read the cd.....I dont like knoppix-installer, cause like I said, when you are donr setting up partitions in cfdisk, it doesnt prompt you to make the swap partitions active.....knx-hdinstall is more dependable and i have re installed quite a few times to realize this. I am new to this myself, but I find the most confusing aspect is the command line!!!! I am totally knowledgable in DOS and the command line, but in LINUX.....i need help.
Also I noticed using knoppix-installer you are prompted to use either a knoppix installation or Debian. At first I chose Knoppix and had all sorts of password problems....So i re did it and used Debian which I am used to and I like. Knx-hdinstall defaults to Debian anyway. So I would start from scratch, boot the CD, do ctrl+alt+F2 to bring up console.....follow instructions and you will go into the cfdisk program to partition the drive. I just make a swap partition and a LINUX one...some people make 3, the 3rd being for programs. But I dont think its neccessary at this point. And when you finish, as long as it works, then thats most of the hard work done!!!! bob
Similar Threads
-
By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
-
By hrymur in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:02 AM
-
By pistatio56 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 11:12 AM
-
By newguy in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98