Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix (Y won't u n-stall?)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix (Y won't u n-stall?)

    okay I have been messing around with knoppix for a while now and I have a problem with instailling things. I click on the file and click instaill, it asks me for the root password I type that in and then it bring up some crazy

    about dpkg -i '//home/knoppix/ymessenger_0.99.17-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
    dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
    RESULT=2

    what does this mean?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Are you talking about a debian style hd install?
    If you're running from the CD you'll get the read-only because it can't write to a CD.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Good point Markus

    I am also curious to why a "program" would be trying to install into someones "/home" directory? Programs usually install into the /etc or the /usr/sbin area, don't they

    The whole install path, sounds like a Live CD, maybe XenXion is trying to install a "package" into the /home/knoppix folder as a way to "install programs with the CD boot" docs, kind of thing [?]

    Never tried installing "packages", when I was running the Live CD, but, I have "heard" you CAN do it...

    XenXion,
    If you have installed knoppix to your hard drive, this could be an issue of "permissions" not being set properly, during the installation, or that the hard drive you installed Knoppix on, not having set "write" permissions properly.

    If you DID install Knoppix on your hard drive, and you AREN'T running Knoppix from the CD... -=- Please provide more information on your issue: What version of Knoppix, What size is your hard drive, How much free space is left on the hard drive, and what form of "installation" were you using to install "YMessenger" with ???

    Just trying to help,
    Cuddles

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    Yes I am running it from the cd and I have a 40gigHD that it is using I don't have a problem saving things thou I can save things and still get to it in windows Xp home I don't know if that has anything to do with it. and thanx for helpin'

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If you have a persistant home you could use this script by Kano:
    http://kanotix.com/files/install-ymessenger-local.sh
    Haven't used any of these live-cd-install scripts myself but I've used a couple of other ones by him and they worked like a charm.
    BTW, what is ymessenger, could GAIM which is installed do what you want?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Gaim 0.75 is currently unable to connect with yahoo. I've seen somewhere on the net that gaim 0.71 is able to connect with yahoo, however, I haven't tried it myself.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    the thing that it can't do is voice chat. I would find another program that does it but all my frinds use windows and yahoo and another reason is that my computer won't allow yahoo to be instailed.which I don't know why but I will try the codes and if anyone has gotten Bittorrent to work plz send me a link.

Similar Threads

  1. While booting knoppix stall while configuring my devices
    By BeatFreak in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
  2. Newbie: stall on USB detection
    By Sppire in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 09:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00