-
Senior Member
registered user
Program installation instructions
Hello all....I find at certain websites, that i need a "plug-in" to make certain aspects of web pages work with multi media. One such plug-in is "media player for LINUX" I downloaded it to my home directory. Now I am having trouble figuring out how to install it! I guess now that I have got my Knoppix installation on the HDD running well, my next project is to learn how to install programs! I need step by step instructions cause i still am having trouble figuring out the directory structure of LINUX. Like I said I downloaded the linux media player file. It is in a folder I made called "temp" in my home directory. when i click on the icon, it turns into a FOLDER! when i click on that, more files appear. There is a note saying that it is a command line install and wont work with a gui.OK so i tried for quite a while to do this at the console as root and i kept getting "file or directory not found" even tho when i do an "LS" it does show the directories in there!!! OK so when i click on the desktop icon of the little house [home] there are about 5 folders in there, one I made called "temp" has the linux media player file which has a .gz extension so i guess i have to unzip it somehow. I understand this from using DOS and pkunzip....but i need to find the actual installation file which i can't. So i guess if I can navigate to where this program is using the console, i can type in a command to extract & install....Please help!!!!! b ob
Similar Threads
-
By Quinny in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
-
By rayesteq in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-23-2004, 11:46 PM
-
By landolini in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:20 PM
-
By gonzalu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 10:29 PM
-
By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-05-2003, 01:11 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$368.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00

DELL PowerEdge R730XD Server 2x E5-2690v4 2.6GHz =28 Cores 64GB H730 4xRJ45
$653.00