Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: more specific information...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5

    more specific information...

    O.k, I spent 40 minutes like a good Linux newbie and have researched the discussions and databases on Winmodems. After all of that, I see there is a 60/40 chance what I have is Winmodem only.

    Here's what I've got: HCF 56k PCI, Supra Diamond Multimedia, with a Conexant chip set. My Knoppix error again, is "KPPP cannot find /dev/modem"

    IF this is a Winmodem only, any recommendations on a known internal Linux friendly modem? And by switching to it, will it effect Win2k server since I'll be using that primarily until I get all the bugs worked out on my Knoppix?

    Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions. I am SO looking forward to weening off of Windows for good.

    Zeus916

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try this link at the Linux Documentation Project it might help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9

    HCF modem

    The HCF is definitely a Winmodem, you can get a driver for it and it does work for me in two other distros but so far not in Knoppix.

    The problem comes in compiling the driver in that it can't find the gcc listed in /proc/version, I've tried pointing it to gcc but no luck yet.

    Try a Google search for drivers, as far as I know there is only one at www.mbsi.ca. I think there is a binary available too.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    As far as new modems that work with linux (and other OS's) there are a handful of pci hardware modems that work with linux, but almost all pci modems require some "fiddling around" to get them to work as most use a non-standard COM port by default. I've used the action-tek call-waiting pci modem, on a dual boot system, I cheated, I set the modem up in windows 98 and then reassigned it to COM2 (instead of COM5) then it was very easy to get it to work in linux. Go to the following page for info on linux compatable modems (modems with a green box with OK on the left work in linux):

    **http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

    If you run from CD a pci modem that you have to set up will be a pain, if you do a hd install it wouldn't be so bad. Another option is an external modem, most external modems are hardware modems and should be easy to get up and running, I've used both 3Com and Zoom external modems with linux.

    HTH

    rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5

    Thank you for the replies

    I appreciate the advice. In the near future I'm building a new machine, which will be my Linus box <HD install, compatible modem, etc>. What I'm using now is partitioned to NTFS so I'm running Knoppix from a CD.

    I noticed after making numerous adjustments to the preferences, and even after saving it to floppy, that Knoppix doesn't recognize it during the boot process. I've included it in the command line, along with various other codes.

    Is there a terminal window, or something similar that I can load previously saved settings so I'm not making the same adjustments each login? And is there a way to save it to the CD, rather than the floppy disk if I want to make these changes more permanent?

    Thanks again to all who replied.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 09:45 AM
  2. are knoppix-specific packages apt-gettable from somewhere?
    By gpirujo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 02:15 PM
  3. How to select specific applications in ur Distro......?
    By Adeel in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 10:52 PM
  4. how do i force specific resolution AND refresh?
    By ryoken in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2003, 02:56 AM
  5. Language-specific versions?
    By coder4hire in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 12:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99