-
recompile kernel
Hello everybody
I have a little problem (as every one does). I need write support for QNX4FS. I found a Kernel Patch for this on http://qnxfs.narod.ru/ . I've installed Knoppix (c't 3.4 version) on the hdd.
I've tried the http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3029 , but it didn't work to compile and so on. I got a lot of problems with this. It gives me errors for making "make xconfig" or once later in "make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image modules". Then i've tried to download a kernel from kernel.org (2.4.25) and install this one. but this finally didn't work. i changed lilo and made up everything i think and i got a "unable to mount root fs" error.
I forgot to mention, that i always use the old config from /boot/config-.....
Maybe can someone tell me short how i have to recompile a kernel with the old config?
thx a lot.
greetings
BoopaMagal
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: recompile kernel

Originally Posted by
BoopaMagal
Hello everybody
I have a little problem (as every one does). I need write support for QNX4FS. I found a Kernel Patch for this on
http://qnxfs.narod.ru/ . I've installed Knoppix (c't 3.4 version) on the hdd.
I've tried the
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3029 , but it didn't work to compile and so on. I got a lot of problems with this. It gives me errors for making "make xconfig" or once later in "make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image modules". Then i've tried to download a kernel from kernel.org (2.4.25) and install this one. but this finally didn't work. i changed lilo and made up everything i think and i got a "unable to mount root fs" error.
I forgot to mention, that i always use the old config from /boot/config-.....
Maybe can someone tell me short how i have to recompile a kernel with the old config?
thx a lot.
greetings
BoopaMagal
That sounds like the initrd did not get made or not made properly (most likely the module you are compiling for now not included in the config somewhere if it is your root file system can't be of much help here never use initrd) for the new kernel, you either have to track down the error or compile with the module included in the kernel (selected yes instead of module) a couple of guides below. BTW it would be modules_image in the kernel compile command line and that would only be needed if you were compiling additional modules (not kernel modules) that you have extracted to the /usr/src/modules directory this option is not necessary if you are only compiling a kernel itself all its modules selected will be built with the kernel_image switch and installed when you install the kernel image package.
http://ftp.sun.ac.za/ftp/linux/docs/...ianKernel.html
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
-
Thx for your help
Now i started over with knoppix 3.3 and tried the following:
wget http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppi...Custom_all.deb
dpkg -i kernel-source-2.4.24-xfs_10.00.Custom_all.deb
cd /usr/src
tar xvfj kernel-source-2.4.24-xfs
cd kernel-source-2.4.24-xfs
cp /boot/config-2.4.22-xfs .config
make xconfig
// here i didn't change anything (jzust looking) and saved the config
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg clean --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image<tab> // there is only one (the new one)
// answered the question with inittab with no to continue
then this went without problems
i added a new image to lilo:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
label=Linux2.4.24
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.24-xfs
read-only
then i run "lilo" with no errors
when i boot this kernel:
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
anyone knows why this happens?
thx for your help.
greetings
Patrick Boos
Similar Threads
-
By chris-ukl in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 11:04 AM
-
By samwhich in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-18-2004, 06:12 PM
-
By keyvisuals in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-17-2004, 04:38 PM
-
By tmp001 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-28-2004, 11:48 AM
-
By Worm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00