--Try using VNC, and monitor the situation with "top". Running Xrealvnc doesn't use a whole lot of resources from what I've seen, but YMMV.
Originally Posted by garyng
Hi,
With a slight modification, Knoppix can be a very handy XServer(X-Terminal) solution.
What I would like to know is if the X11 system support the usage of reattaching previous sessions like the wonder screen utility in text mode. If that can be done, I would be able to go to any workstation, boot knoppix and re-attach to an previously detached but still running desktop on a server.
I know that x11vnc can do this but that would mean running multiple copy of X11 server on the server which can use lots of resource on the server.
--Try using VNC, and monitor the situation with "top". Running Xrealvnc doesn't use a whole lot of resources from what I've seen, but YMMV.
Originally Posted by garyng
thanks. VNC is actually a more suitable solution for me but just that the multiple xserver(which is what xvncserver does) on the server scares me a bit in terms of resource. Didn't test it though.
However, it seems that VNC is slower than X, at least in my limited test situation on a local 100Mbps network, especially when I hold the scrollbar and drag. This is understandable as VNC need to sort of redraw the screen in a pixel by pixel for each small movement. The difference is though quite noticeable.
--VNC gets more responsive when you:
o Load a more lightweight Windowmanager (such as Icewm)
o Use SSH with portforwarding and compression.
Example: Put this in ~/.vnc/Xsession:
--Here is an example script that I use to start VNC on the server side:Code:# initialize variables for use by all session scripts OPTIONFILE=/etc/X11/Xsession.options SYSMODMAP=/etc/X11/Xmodmap USRMODMAP=$HOME/.Xmodmap SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources SYSSESSIONDIR=/etc/X11/Xsession.d STARTUP=$HOME/.xsession ALTSTARTUP=$HOME/.Xsession ERRFILE=$HOME/.xsession-errors #xinit /usr/bin/sawfish xrdb rxvt & # -display :3 & /usr/bin/sawfish &
BEGIN remotex
--Here is how to port-forward with compression (Note the VNC server hostname on my network is p233.)Code:#!/bin/sh #vncserver -cc 3 & # cc 3 == pseudocolor visual vncserver :2 -geometry 900x700 # -cc 3 -geometry 1024x768 -fp /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/ -fn -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-100-100-100-c-70-iso8859-1 # Use font -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-100-100-100-c-70-iso8859-1 # Connect using vncviewer p233:5902 || http://p233:5802 #vncserver -kill :2 # if ssh -2 -C -L 5992:p233:5902 p233 # THEN vncviewer localhost:5992
BEGIN ssh-vncserver
--The above code forwards port 5902 on the vnc server to port 5992 on the client box, with compression. Connect the VNC viewer to localhost:5992 after starting the remote X session, and it will use the compressed port connection.Code:#!/bin/bash ssh -2 -C -X -c blowfish \ -l dave \ -L 5992:p233:5902 \ 10.0.0.2 $*
--You can also play with the VNC viewer's Options and experiment with different ways to re-draw the screen.
--Note that you will have to assign a password to the VNC session the first time you run it... Best of luck.
Originally Posted by garyng
thanks, I was running vnc over SSH(compression on) and the wm is fluxbox. Not that it is slow in normal operation(perfectly fine) but if I am in firefox browsing and use the scrollbar, the speed difference(comparing with X) is quite noticeable.
PS, the machine I am VNC in is a XBOX.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99