Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix wont find cd-rom

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix wont find cd-rom

    I am yet another newbie to linux and I wanted to put knoppix on an old pc just for shits and so I adjusted my boot sequence in my bios as follows: CD-ROM, Floppy, HD1. I did make a floppy disk just incase it wouldn't boot from the CD. I put the floppy in and booted up. When it is booting up, its seems as if it is totally overlooking the cd-rom (though it is trying to access it) and goes right to the floppy. All is fine until I hit enter at the boot: prompt. It seems to load ok until it tries to find the cd. At that point it cannot find it and it takes me to a really shitty shell prompt. I know for a fact that the CD-ROM works because I had windows 98SE on it up until this point. I aslo know that the cd was burnt correctly because i tried it on a different computer and i didn't have a single problem. I even tried replacing the CD-ROM. No luck. Can someone please help me, I am seriously about to go off the deep end.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Check the cableing and jumpering of the CDROM. Just because it worked in Windows doesn't mean its right or that it'll work like that in Linux.

    In particular, don't use cable select.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix wont display on DVI
    By fej64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 03:18 PM
  2. Knoppix wont boot
    By Bklynjava in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
  3. knoppix wont start
    By XRAIDED in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:25 PM
  4. Knoppix wont even boot
    By simmo in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
  5. knoppix 3.2 wont run
    By earsh0t in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



NEW Samsung USB Type-C 256GB Flash Drive USB 3.2 Gen 1 Genuine OEM -MUF-256DA/AM picture

NEW Samsung USB Type-C 256GB Flash Drive USB 3.2 Gen 1 Genuine OEM -MUF-256DA/AM

$55.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$37.99



PNY 1TB PRO Elite V3 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Flash Drive Up to 1000MB/s Read Bulk Package picture

PNY 1TB PRO Elite V3 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Flash Drive Up to 1000MB/s Read Bulk Package

$84.99



Sandisk Crayola 64GB USB-C Flash Drive, 2pk Cerulean Blue and Electric Lime, picture

Sandisk Crayola 64GB USB-C Flash Drive, 2pk Cerulean Blue and Electric Lime,

$11.00



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 (P85) P85_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99