yes you can
the only requirement is a decent about of ram ( 256 should be ok.. ) as you will not have any swap memory with no hard drive.
Hello I was just talking to a friend of mine who is really into linux software, and he mentioned that you can actually run Knoppix without havind a hard drive installed in your pc.
Is this possible?![]()
If so what are the system requirements?
I am currently running a Ecsk7som mb with a AMD XP1400 cpu, with 256mb sdram pc133.
I am new to linux, so my questions may be a little stupid to you advanced linux users. I have been using Windows for years but Knoppix really caught my eye. I am trying to learn everything I can about this software, so your help will be appriciated.![]()
sincerely,
Stephen
yes you can
the only requirement is a decent about of ram ( 256 should be ok.. ) as you will not have any swap memory with no hard drive.
I know it seemed like a stupid question, but I was just wondering how it really works.
Quick question!
Can I still download or save certain files from the internet?
If so where does the os store this information?
That is all.... Thanks a million.......
![]()
Running without a hard drive you would be able to permanently save files to a floppy, zip drive, pen drive etc. Otherwise knoppix uses a ramdisk for temporary storage.
HTH
rock
Your system sounds like it would run knoppix quite well. Give it a try. There's nothing to loose.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B365M-PLUS LGA 1151 DDR4 8th/9th Gen Intel B365 Motherboard
$89.00