Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix wont fully load

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix wont fully load

    My setup:
    Asus A7M266-VM
    Athlon XP 1700+
    GeForce 2 GTS 32 meg
    nForce audio
    256 megs PC2100 ram
    Windows XP Pro on a NTFS formatted HD

    Knoppix looks like it detects all my stuff fine, and the xwindowing environment (KDM?) starts to load, and it gets to the point where it's setting up peripherals (the mouse icon is highlighted) but then it just locks up. CD spins down, mouse doesnt respond, keyboard lights dont work, etc... ideas? I unplugged my USB Joystick and HP Printer just incase those might be doing something, but that didnt work. I also removed the spare network card I had in my machine that I wasnt using, still no go.
    It's not the CD, because I tried it on my dad's computer and it worked fine.


    On a slightly different topic, what's involved in setting up a XP, Linux dual boot on an NTFS drive? I assume I will have to get Partition Magic, and set aside some free space for Linux to create a partition, but beyond that, I'm clueless. Total Linux newbie.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    There are several things you can try. First of all have you played with the cheat codes. Before you do this try booting into runlevl 3. To do this type 'knoppix init 3' at the boot screen. This will get you into text/full network mode. Hopefully your machine won't crash at this point. Now issue this command: 'dmesg |more' This should give you the output of the bootup process up till that point. You may not know what everything means, but look for red flags - error messages. You can post back here about it. Apart from any visible error message in dmesg, play around with the cheat code options.

    Regarding NTFS resizing, I think I may have some good news to people who are trying to do this without buying Partition Magic. The new Mandrake is supposed to be able to resize NTFS partitions. You can try downloading the first CD and using the installer to do the resizing of your NTFS partition. As always - BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST!!!!

    Mandrake 9.1 isn't finished yet, but you can download the latest testing version here. As far as I know, the installer SHOULD work. Again, people who want to try this are doing it at their own risk, but the outlook is good that it will work. Hopefully the upcoming Debian installer will do this too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3
    I tried those commands you listed and I didn't see any obvious errors. What are the cheat codes you're talking about? Are they the different options you can try that are listed when you hit F2 at the boot: prompt?
    I tried running it with the gnome GUI, that started loading, I saw the Gnome splash screen, but then it crashed out to the prompt with an error I dont remember. I havent tried the other GUIs.

    I looked at the mandrake site last night, and that looks like it has a fairly friendly installer. If I did create some free space on my HDD for it, it would install there if I told it to, and set up the correct dual boot setup? I was also pointed to a Linux release called Lindows OS, and that also looked pretty friendly, but it seemed like you had to pay for that one. At least I wasnt able to find a link to download the thing.

    Brian

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I have no idea if lindows can resize ntfs partitions safely. Being able to do this is a new development in linux. I "think" that Mandrake is doing this with open source tools (ntfsresize et al). Another linux distro that I have been told can do this is ASP linux. It uses some commercial stuff to do this. Xandros can resize NTFS also, but unlike Mandrake or ASP it isn't a free download.

    Re the cheat codes - yes they are the options you get when you press F2 at the boot screen. You can look at a full list fo them here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3
    I tried a couple of the other GUIs, and they worked, but I didnt have any network support, and I had no idea where to look to find that stuff out. When I tried Knoppix on my dad's machine, KDE loaded fine, and the internet worked fine... I've thought about disabling the motherboards onboard ethernet, and reinstalling the network card I had in, and seeing if that works. Haven't done that yet though.

    Brian

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  2. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  3. various questions regarding knoppix 3.4 -> hd -> fully
    By ovidiu in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Knoppix Won't Fully Load
    By MrWizard in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 03:43 AM
  5. Fails to fully load...
    By Titan in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-15-2003, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95