Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I was told Knoppix 3.1 can run without a hard drive!

  1. #1

    I was told Knoppix 3.1 can run without a hard drive!

    Hello I was just talking to a friend of mine who is really into linux software, and he mentioned that you can actually run Knoppix without havind a hard drive installed in your pc.
    Is this possible?
    If so what are the system requirements?
    I am currently running a Ecsk7som mb with a AMD XP1400 cpu, with 256mb sdram pc133.
    I am new to linux, so my questions may be a little stupid to you advanced linux users. I have been using Windows for years but Knoppix really caught my eye. I am trying to learn everything I can about this software, so your help will be appriciated.

    sincerely,
    Stephen

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    yes you can
    the only requirement is a decent about of ram ( 256 should be ok.. ) as you will not have any swap memory with no hard drive.

  3. #3

    Thanks for the quick reply!

    I know it seemed like a stupid question, but I was just wondering how it really works.

    Quick question!

    Can I still download or save certain files from the internet?

    If so where does the os store this information?

    That is all.... Thanks a million.......


  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Running without a hard drive you would be able to permanently save files to a floppy, zip drive, pen drive etc. Otherwise knoppix uses a ramdisk for temporary storage.

    HTH

    rock

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Your system sounds like it would run knoppix quite well. Give it a try. There's nothing to loose.

Similar Threads

  1. Reformat A Hard Drive in Knoppix
    By marksoccer105 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 12:44 AM
  2. KNOPPIX HARD DRIVE INSTALL =NO NO
    By bugsy in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 05:43 AM
  3. XF86config and knoppix on my hard drive
    By maxer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 06:02 AM
  4. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. knoppix & USB hard drive
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



6x MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6 MICRON 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM MEMORY picture

6x MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6 MICRON 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM MEMORY

$880.00



MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested picture

lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested

$1000.00



16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory picture

16GB Samsung M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory

$79.99



Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory picture

Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory

$669.00