-
Junior Member
registered user
how can I disable my non-existant floppy? It's causes hang
Complete newbie to linux here. I have a DELL Latitude laptop (C540 I think, if you're interested). I recently installed Knoppix to my HDD (I know, now it's Debian, not Knoppix) using knoppix-installer. Works fine. I have an external firewire HDD which works fine too, now that I'm using that rescan script. My problem is that because my laptop DOESN'T have a floppy drive, anytime I try to switch to /mnt/exthdd in an app's "open file" dialog box, after typing in "/mnt", my computer freezes for 5 to 10 minutes. A little investigation reveals that it's trying to see what's on my non-existent floppy drive. If I do 'ls /mnt', I see 'floppy' there in the list. So my question is how can I remove my floppy, so that linux won't look for it anymore?
Before posting this, I googled for solutions for this for a few hours. All I found was someone else who had the same problem, but no solutions. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
V.
Similar Threads
-
By Namisar in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 05:53 AM
-
By admgamer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 01:24 AM
-
By yhw22 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 04:16 PM
-
By nitropowered in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2004, 08:20 PM
-
By ls_linux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.75